Default Good ADSL wireless

i sure this will open up a can of worms, but am in the market to buy a new wireless router, as im having problems with my connection , and my isp has advised that the ext cord im using is causing the issue, so it's time to join the wireless world

looking to spend around £100-£150 on a router etc, any recommendations?

my system specs are amd 3000+, 256 pci-e nvidia 7600gs, 1.5g ram(shortly to be 2g), wind xp,

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I assume 'extension cord' refers to the CAT5 wire between the modem and your PC? If this is the case, I can't understand why your ISP would recommend a wireless router instead of replacing the CAT5. First off, it's a lot cheaper and second, you will lose some speed going wireless. If you're just connecting to one PC that stays in the same place at home, wireless doesn't make any sense. If you have a laptop and want to use it in different rooms fair enough, but be aware that there can be dead spots due to electrical wiring, cell/wireless phones and physical barriers like concrete walls, also, unless set up with security password, others can access your router. Don't get me wrong, wireless is a great thing to have, but it does have its limitations.

I'll let others recommend makes and models.

If oyu do go wireless, and you want some advice it might be tough. Your going to get alot of different opinions from different people. I personally only usually work with Lnksys, I think they are the best and you get the best performance out of them. But recently in a survey I won a Netgear Wireless N router, and notebook card and tried it out and I really like. If I were to buy something again I would stay with Lnksys though. You just have to remember its all going to be brand preference, but good luck.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

I will assume you mean the telephone extension cord.
    A long CAT5 (Lead from computer to modem) if preferable to having a long telephone lead.
    Having a telephone extension placed near the computer would be the next cheapest most effective solution
    Going WiFi means spending quite a few $$$$ and unless the computer is mobile or you intend sending signals to other media devices around the house a waste of money and no where near as secure.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.