Default J25E Runtime ENvironment

Have three different versions of this on my computer (600m of data). Do I need to keep all three verisons( 11, 09, 08 ) or just the highest?

Default Re: J25E Runtime ENvironment

Quote Originally Posted by strayerld
    Have three different versions of this on my computer (600m of data). Do I need to keep all three verisons( 11, 09, 08 ) or just the highest?
    I am guessing you meant in your title Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE). You only need the highest version. By the way the newest version is up to 6u1. You can remove the old versions in add/remove programs then either keep your newest version that you already have or download the newest one from here:
    http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Scroll about half way down and look for Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u1
    Proud Member of ASAP
    Proud Member of UNITE

Do not ask for my help via pm. Keep it in the forums so all may learn from it.

My help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Unfortunately Java keeps old versions when a new one is installed. The reason is that some software will not work on newer versions of Java.
    The problem is one can end up with versions galore.
    Delete all but the most recent then install the new version. Well supported software should have at least updates that are at least one version behind.
    Most updates are security based updates and do not affect the actual way they work. You may find that by only keeping the latest version installed all will work ok.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.