Member Help2Go Moderator

Default Here's one: Can't explain it: maybe "USB Data Capture&q

Here's the deal. I was given some proprietary hardware (you know, someone throwing out old junk) from a business and they gave me a self contained PC.

The issue at hand: I might want to use this for a small project. It prints to the USB Port. Wondering if anyone knows of a way to basically A.) Get a USB cable, attach it to this machine and then take the other end and attach it to mine and then B.) Capture the printer data in raw format.

I would prefer a software solution if anyone could. No, I don't want to use hubs and yes, this is the way I would like to do it if it's possible.

Thanks!

Partie™

Hello Partie

Don't know if this will be much help as it seems to be for serial port data capture, maybe you could use a USB to Serial converter cable ???
    I'm not even too sure what I'm reading, but heres the link anyway.

http://www.magsys.co.uk/comcap/

One more thing, this software looks quite pricy too!
    The source of your information far outweighs the content
    ALPHA: Intel 915GAV P4, 2.93GHz, 1024MB DDR, 250GB SATA HD, WinXPMCE (KNOPPIX Live v5.1.1)
    BETA: HP Vectra VLi8 P3, 450MHz, 192MB SDRAM, 6.44GB IDE HD, Win98SE

Member Help2Go Moderator

I'm not so sure I want that kind of data capture. I don't want to be able to view the data in real time. The idea is to have my pc capture the file that is printing, convert it to pdf, then email it. I technically don't even want it touching a printer until I'm ready for it to be hard copied. I guess the best way I can explain it is you know those USB Network cables that you can attach a single USB cable to 2 computers and the special software allows you to run a network. Basically the same thing I guess but I want pc1 to attach to pc2 and from pc1's printer comes the .ps (postsript file) for that printed item to my pc so i can manipulate it later. I appreciate the search effort though! Thanks for helping.,

Partie™

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

if I understand you right you want to print from one computer and save it to another without it actually printing?
    If that is the case then all you need to do is install a PDF application that creates it's own printer driver.
    A google search should bring up quite a few free ones.
    All you need to do then is set the computer to send the print job to the pdf printer driver and save it as a file at any location.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Whooze,

it's not a "normal" OS. Like I said proprietary. I'm looking more for a USB data capture software/kit.

Partie™

I found this on gigablast. http://www.apscell.com/datapilot-dp200-117-samsung.html
    Cheers Jim

Member Help2Go Moderator

thanks woodcock but those are for cell phones. I think I may just give up this idea and do something else with it. Appreciate all the help.

Partie™