Default ScanDisk will not run on my Windows XP Home Edition computer

When I try to run ScanDisk on my WinXP Home Edition COMPAQ desktop computer. I get a message that the computer cannot run ScanDisk because it needs access to Windows files which it thinks are otherwise engaged. Here is the exact message: "The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can only be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule this disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?'
    I have selected the Yes option and then restarted the computer and the ScanDisk disk chech utility program still does not run. I need to know why I am unable to run ScanDisk on this WinXP Home Edition computer which has a 120 Gigabyte hard drive with only 20 Gigabytes used. RAM is 512 MB. Thanks for any ideas on this.

When you run chkdisk it needs all the resources for that drive you are running on. My guess when you are trying to run some kind of another program is running at startup, hence why it still doesnt work when you restart the computer. Press ctrl + alt + delete and look at your processes running, there might be something that is starting by itself without you knowing when you start your pc. Below is a link to the microsoft help page about it.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Also found information from microsoft saying: "Such locking of the drive partition may be due to third party virus checker or disk monitor tool."
    1]Click Start, go to Run menu and type services.msc and click OK.
    2]In the Services(Local) list scroll down to the respective service (i.e. virus checker or the disk monitor tool).
    3]Right click on that particular service and select Properties.
    4]Change the Startup type to disabled for any 3rd-party applications which might be causing the Chkdsk lock problem.
    5]Click OK/Apply.
    6]Reboot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555484

Are we talking about scandisk or chkdisk? They are to entirely different animals. To troubleshoot scandisk see if the link below helps.

http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/scandisk.html

Default scan disk = chkdsk

clik start, clik run, type in CMD hit OK, when the prompt window comes up type in chkdsk, clik on enter, let it run, Your "home" may run different than my "PRO" when you get the message about the lock part and do you want it to run when you next boot Type in the "Y" at the prompt, DO NOT hit the X here , Hit enter, you will get a message that the machine will run chkdsk NOW you can hit the X, If you are still lost do this, Open My computer, right clik on drive C, clik on properties, Clik on the tool tab, now clik on the check now tab for error checking, put a check mark in both boxes automatically fix and also scan, hit enter let it work.

Oops, sorry thats my fault they did say scandisk, and I must of just put in my own head chkdisk, sorry for any confusion.