Default Blue screen error on dell

Hi,

I have a dell inspiron 5100. I am unable to boot from the hard disk and when I boot it is showing a blue screen. I had this kind of error before but i was able to fix it using chkdsk /f
    command by using a window xp installation cd. The problem is that my cd rom has not been working for quite some time and hence i am unable to use the installation cd. I am pretty sure the chkdsk command will fix the problem. Any ideas how can i fix the computer

What is the error, we need to know that, usually these errors are driver or hardware problems. Update drivers replace broken hardware.

zep.

The blue screen says

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you are seeing the STOP error screen restart your computer, otherwise follow these steps

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive conficuration and check for updated drivers. Run chkdsk /F to check for hard drive corruption and restart your computer

Technical information
    *** STOP : 0x00000024 (0x00190203,0x82F85848,0xC0000102,0x00000000)"

As i said, i think it is some corrupt files/drivers on hard disk. My CD ROM is damaged so cannot run installation cd

Try booting in to Safe mode

Boot into Safe Mode by hitting the F8 key repeatedly until a menu shows up (and choose Safe Mode from the list). In some systems, this may be the F5 key, so try that if F8 doesn't work.

If this works go into Device Manager. Look to see if there are any yellow exclamation marks. Let us know if there is, and where.
    Proud Member of ASAP
    Proud Member of UNITE

Do not ask for my help via pm. Keep it in the forums so all may learn from it.

My help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

I tried to boot in SAFE mode, but it still goes to the same blue screen. Before the blue screen it was running several commands.. The last one was something like

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\agp440.sys

After this line it goes to blue screen

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Take a look at this MS article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324764 hope it helps.

Member Help2Go Moderator

If you feel comfortable, the easiest way to figure out if it's a hardware problem or not is to open the case and just look at the hard drive and find out what manufacturer makes it. Go to their website and download their diagnostic tools and run them on the computer in question. That'll at least tell you if it's a phsyical drive problem or just a corrupt file system and we can actually work from there.

Partieā„¢