Thread: USB problems

Default USB problems

Hello guys,
    One of my usb ports is playing up sometimes. When I start my pc it works for a while then all of a sudden a message pops up from the task bar which looks something like:
    "One of the usb-devices attached to this computer has malfunctoned and windows does not recognise it"

Then after clicking on the message I get another one displays in "unknown device properties" box:

Universal Serial Bus controllers
    (Standard USB Host Controller)
    Location 0 (USB Device)

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

I couldn't find a topic of a help in the troubeshooter .I reinstalled the driver for the USB several times but no result at all. I contacted the customer services for my brand but they suggested to do a system recovery which I consider as a very inconvenient option as I'd need to do a lot of a back up work.

Please give some idea how to get over this nasty thing.
    Any help would be highly appreciated

Do any of your USB ports work, or is just one not working? If it is just one not working I would say save your self a headache and buy a USB hub, then just plug it into the the working port, and you'll have more USB ports then you did before.

Just one isn't working from time to time.
    That's not a big deal indeed, but that "USB has malfunctioned..." service message that pops up every now and again on my task bar drives me insane :evil:
    Is there any way to stop it at least?
    Thanks!

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

What is connected to that USB port.
    Also if you do connect and disconnect anything do you use the Safe Removal tool before unplugging?
    The motherboard manufacturer's web site should have drivers for the USB ports. It may be a wise thing to update them.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.