Default error message at startup

hi,

I've been having a error message open when my laptop starts up. It says "Metadata monitor has encountered a problem and needs to close" Other information that comes up is "Error Signature Appname:mtdacq.exe Appver: 1.1.0.0. Modname:ntdll.dll Modver: 5.1.2600.2180 offset: 0001of29". I have a toshiba satellite laptop that uses windows xp. This message has only been appearing for the past few days. I restored my computer to a system restore point from two weeks ago, but the message still appears. Also, when I shut down my computer it says a "Refflns" program is not responding. I don't know if these are related or not. If anyone knows how to fix these problems, it would be very much appretiated.

Thanks

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

mtdacq.exe belongs to Mediasniffer
    a process that belongs to the MediaSniffer application. It is used to scan and monitor directories for media files. This is a non-essential process. Disabling or enabling it is down to user preference.
    . If you have MediaSniffer in Add/Remove software, remove it. If it's not there, goto Start > Run > type in msconfig > Startup tab > and see if mtdacq.exe is listed. If so, uncheck box > OK > reboot your laptop. When rebooted, in the Configuration window, click box 'to not show window again' > OK. Keep us posted.

HI

I unchecked mtdacq in the startup tab and that seems to have done the trick. Thanks for all of your help.