Default Moving data from one pc to another...

Hi all -

I need to transfer data from an old pc to another - the old one made some clunking sounds today upon re-boot so I feel the need to do this soon.

I have most files (word docs., pictures, music etc.) backed up on disk but my question is regarding programs - is there a way to save them on, say a flash drive or something, then transfer them? For example, my Quicken program with all it's financial history and such - can this be transfered to the new pc in this fashion? If not, how can I?

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Most of those files are stored outside of the programs. So you could just copy all of the databases and other stored files (I don't know what datatype Quicken uses or the other programs you want) directly from the C drive if you haven't already.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

The short answer is no, you can't copy programs from one drive/flash to another. You'll need to find where each program has been saving the backup files (Quicken is probably saved in something like C:/Quicken) and save to disk. On your new computer, you'll need to install each program from it's own CD. Free downloaded programs will need to be re-downloaded if you haven't saved the original downloads.