Thread: links

Default links

Hi.
    My problem is this. I have my operating system and programs on two seperate partitions on my hard drive. So when i replace my OS with an upgraded one (or even just replace it with the same OS) all the links to the programs loaded on the other partition are gone; or isn't it only just links that are broken? (do i really need to load all the programs all over again?)If it is only links that are broken, is there a way to repair it?

Then something else: when i open any of my office programs, I get a message as follows: "Compile error in hidden module: AutoExec" Can somebody please help me with this?

Louw

Member Help2Go Moderator

First Question: Are you actually running an upgrade or are you doing a full reinstall (as in formatting and installing the newer operating system)? If you're doing an actual upgrade then you shouldn't have to reinstall the programs. Everything SHOULD just work. Unfortunately, that's in a perfect world. One thing MS (assuming you're talking about Windows OS) really needs to work on is the upgrade process of their Operating Systems. Anytime someone wants to buy a newer version of the Windows OS I always recommend a complete reinstall and not an upgrade because of the issues that usually come around when running an upgrade. There are 2 reasons for this: 1.) It gives you a clean slate, 2.) If there are problems you don't have to troubleshoot whether or not it was because of the upgrade from the old operating system.

Second Question: check out: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307410

Partie™

[quote="PartieHonteuse"]First Question: I did a full reinstall of a windows XP OS, but remember, it is only on the partition where i had my previous OS. All my programs lying on a seperate partition are still there, but the OS do not link to them/or 'know' that they're there (hope you understand what I mean.) So is there a way that I can correct this without reinstalling all my programs again?

Member Help2Go Moderator

Well, if you have some extra $ laying around you can do this.

Purchase Symantec/Norton Ghost. Do a format/reinstall of your windows installation. Install ALL the programs that you want to use on your machine and that you usually put on your system after you reinstall. You then use Norton Ghost to make a drive image of that system. When it crashes, you load ghost and restore the image to the drive which takes roughly 20 minutes and you don't have to worry about reinstalling every single program. I wouldn't use it as a backup solution though for like data and such cause that can get tedious but if you install a program later just redo the image.

If you don't have extra $ laying around then you can do something like this:

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

That will teach you how to create a CD/DVD of a windows installer that will automatically install all your software for you during the windows installation. Sort of like the Gateway recovery.

Partie™