Thread: Major Freezage

Default Major Freezage

Hi there, I got my computer about three months ago, and after a month I was experiencing very odd but very predictable freeze ups.

Here are my specs:
    cpu: e6300 core 2 duo
    gpu: x1900 gt
    mobo: asrock 775 dual-vsta (it's a weird one, I know)
    mem: 2gb of mushkin
    power: 400W i think, don't know what make

Basically, whenever I am gaming for about an hour and fifteen, maybe an hour and a half, my computer will A. freeze and go black and I have to cycle power, B. give the blue screen of death, or C. boot me onto the desktop and give me an error message. This is all very odd, as I never experience performance issues prior to this. Also, I do many virus/spyware checks, defragment & check registry often, and have subjected my comp. to much benchmarking and nothing seems to help.
    Please, can anyone give me any advice before I decide to reformat my hard drive. Thank you all (:

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Since it's only three months old and you've protected it with regular maintenance, I would suggest you take it back to where you bought it and let them take a look. Does the computer meet the minimum requirements for the games you're playing (one would imagine so being only 3 months old, but still check). If it gets down to a hardware issue it should be covered in the warranty.

there are a couple games i have that may be a bit taxing on my system, however this happens on even very low requirement games, also, i would return it to those from whom i bought it, except that i custom built it

oh, and also, while i expect it is a hardware issue, i don't know which piece of hardware is causing the problem, which is what i would like to find out

not to rule out software either though, the problem may be with windows

Hi,

Since your computer is still under warranty, you should have it serviced. I know it is a pain in the butt to send it back via mail.
    I was experiencing something similiar to what you described. I was playing World of warcraft and at times, the screen would freeze. Most of the times though, I would get the Blue screen of death. The problem was faulty RAM. Once I replaced it, problem solved. Did you install any new hardware recently like Ram. That could be the cause of the problem.
    Bob

"400 Watts i think? I don't know what brand". --Better find out--

Using the x1900GT:

Make sure that your power supply is enough to handle your graphics card Check the power supply requirements on the box of the x1900, card likes current so you need to know the amount of current on the 12volt rail of your power supply and that it meets requirements for the card. Remember wattage isn't everything. Let us know more about the power supply make and or markings on it so we /you can identify it and look up it's specs.

Zep.