Default Suddenly Full Hard Drive

While running a wiper program only to wipe unused space and temp. files (etc.) I noticed that upon completion that my whole drive was suddenly full. What do I do?
    I loaded and ran the CCleaner program to start and prior to running the defrag program I uninstalled as many programs that I could to give the defrag program room to work but was only able to free up 1% of the drive.
    When I ran the defrag program I hoped that it would do exactly that defrag all the files and open up space on the Hard Drive but it could not. So instead of having over 50% of my hard drive available (which was what I had before the wiper program) I now have 1%. Instead of having the available area of the disk highlighted in white it's nearly all red.
    Any Idea's to get my hard drive back to normal?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If your PC is running well, other than the lack of space, click on My Computer > Properties > System Restore tab. You'll note that by default, the space reserved for System Restore, is 12%. This is far too much eg on a 100 GIG drive = 12 GIGs of space. In order to change this, you'll need to turn off System Restore (you will lose all restore points) > OK. Then, uncheck the box to stop restore, and set the slider bar to about 3 to 4% which will give you ample restore points. Reboot your PC, use CCleaner and then do a defrag. Keep us posted.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

When for no apparent reason your blank HD space disappears it is generally caused by a virus or trojan.
    Update you anti virus data files and run a scan.
    I suggest you do this is Safe Mode.
    As suggested by Cunnuk this wil also assure you that if their is a virus is hiding in a restore point it will also be removed.
    other possible causes if no virus is found is a corrupt file that is creating files.
    Look under the root directory, Ususally C: and look for any large file that has a series of numbers for it's name. Providing it is not the page file or any system file then delete it.
    Run the XP disk cleanup utility in the Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tool folder and recheck to see if that file has been removed. Burn a copy of this file before deleting it just in case.
    Any other file with a .bak or tmp extention can also be removed.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.