Thread: Overheated

Default Overheated

I have a Socket 478 DFI Lanparty 865-PE motherboard and was running a 2.8 Ghz Prescott processor. One week ago it started overheating and I tried cleaning dust from the case, changed cpu cooler with no luck. The cpu topped out at 70C today and I shut it down. I had another cpu (2.93 Celeron) and attempted to switch them out now the computer will not even boot. My theory at the moment is a bad board and/or bad cpu. The board temps during all of this remained at around 36C. Any Thoughts :?:

JamesB,

That 2.93 celeron how do you know that was good, your saying that is a known good processor. And on the other prosessor you added the anti heat compound right. (Thermal paste)

What kind of computer? make and model.

Zep..

I had the 2.93 Celeron in another machine and it was operating fine. I did have thermal paste on the other processor (artic silver). The temp still shot up- and this was at idle.

I don't know if the 2.93 celeron is compatable w/board may be you know, possibly the other proccessor shorted and failed in the first place thus overheating now. I'm guessing like you educated guesses.

Zep..

I checked the book that came with the board and it indicated that this Celeron processor was compatible. I have had various issues with this board since I bought it. I even called DFI and they were not able to offer much help.

Did you apply new thermal paste to the Celeron CPU after you put it in? Without thermal paste it will overheat in a matter of seconds. Charlie

There you go that's the clue various issues w/board ..Sounds like you may have another issue, hopefully you saved the processor.

What make and model is computer and or board.

Zep..

The board is a DFI LANPARTY 865PE.