Default Connected to internet but web pages won't come up.

My son downloaded Yahoo Messenger (and all that comes with it). Since then I have not been able to VIEW a web page. However my 2Wire HomePortal modem says I'm connected and I'm able to download updates for SpyBot and Ad-Aware. I removed everything Yahoo using the Control Panel, Add/Remove. I still can't view web pages. (Makes me try to remember how we "got on" the internet before these fancy smancy web browsers! tee hee)

Using IE clear your cokkies, temp, files, and history, then reboot,

Click tools, internet options in the browsers.

Are you getting the page cannot be displayed error?

Also power off the modem and or router and power back on.

Zep.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

Thanks.
    I've tried everything you said. When I attempt to open any website I still get: "IE cannot display this webpage." But going through their check list, I am connected to the internet, websites were operable and addresses were typed correctly. I do the diagnostic and Windows say I have no problem with my internet connection.
    Thank you!

baconbits,

Not a solution but down load this browser and see if you can connect with it that will tell you if it is truly an IE problem http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

The other thing you may try is to set IE back to its default settings. There are many reasons for the error. Let me get a link for ccleaner unless you have it already.

Here is ccleaner read and understand the tool an run it

http://www.ccleaner.com/download/

Zep.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

I downloaded the ccleaner and noticed that immediately after using it to clean Yahoo Messenger I was able to log onto Mozilla ONCE.

Now, however, I cannot log onto IE or Mozilla without getting the message that "the page cannot be displayed".

Ok good luck here in the mean time see what else I can find I am looking for clear dns and cache junk not sure how to do it but I'll find it, See the link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241344

Zep..

Maybe it is an isp problem if both browsers are troubled...After thought..

Default McAfee Wireless Networking was unable to initialize.

Found my problem. It's McAfee's latest update causing all of the problem. To resolve this issue, you can call McAfee at 866-628-9522. They will direct you to the following link which has a fix: https://us.mcafee.com/root/fix.html

baconbits,

Thank you for the solution, I to run Macfee so your post could have been very helpful.

Zep..