Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Computer advice on buying computer

I have computer parts lined up to put a computer together...I just want advice on what I should change or not change. I am going to order from tigerdirect and my wishlist link is below..Let me know what you think.

TokenBad

http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/w...0-F8FA1B56CECE

I think you ought to check your wish list. Why would want 2 $600.00 each graphics cards and 6 hard drives?

BG

Default Need it

Need the hard drives for space for high end graphic renders and animations...and the video cards are for kids games

TokenBad

Boy I hope you added all this us, about $6,000.00 USD for the PC.

Are you an experienced PC builder ?

I am sure the few PC builders we have here will chime in and give their opinion.

BG

Default Yes I added it up

Yes added it up and with shipping its about 5500. I have been trying to get some advice on a good system for rendering animations and highend graphics. Plus gaming for 3 kids..

TokenBad

Tokenbad,

I'm not sure where you're going with your graphics cards. It shows that you have 4 selected. You have listed 2 8800GTX Cards, as well as 2 8800 Ultra cards. The motherboard you selected only has 2 pci-e slots so you won't be needing both of those cards. The Nvidia 8800 series cards are for extreme performance in gaming. They are not for rendering images and video as you suggested you will be doing. One 8800 GTX will run any current game at it's maximum settings with no problems whatsoever. Dual card SLi seems to be overkill for what you suggested you're doing. What games are your kids playing? As for the 8800 Ultra cards, those are the cards my nephew is using in his new machine but he is an avid gamer. If you're looking to do rendering you should look at the ATi Fire GL series cards. Gaming cards and rendering cards are not one in the same.

Also I suggest if you're going to spend this much money on a machine, go with Corsair Ram. It's by far the best available. It seems as if you've allocated money on parts like the case and the power supply, which are important, but nowhere near as important as the ram.

What setup are you going to use on your 6 hard drives? Meaning are you using Raid 0,1 on them? If you're not going to be using raid, I dont see why you don't just get larger hard drives instead of having 6.

Importantly, the gaming for 3 kids, what games are they playing and what are you rendering? What software are you using for your graphics processing, this will affect what you need out of a video card.

Zep.

Default That is a mess up

That is a mess up...should be 2 8800 ultra extremes. And on the ram will take that into account...the reason on the larger drives over the 6 smaller ones is it saves 200 bucks or more..

TokenBad

Quote Originally Posted by zep
    Tokenbad,

I'm not sure where you're going with your graphics cards. It shows that you have 4 selected. You have listed 2 8800GTX Cards, as well as 2 8800 Ultra cards. The motherboard you selected only has 2 pci-e slots so you won't be needing both of those cards. The Nvidia 8800 series cards are for extreme performance in gaming. They are not for rendering images and video as you suggested you will be doing. One 8800 GTX will run any current game at it's maximum settings with no problems whatsoever. Dual card SLi seems to be overkill for what you suggested you're doing. What games are your kids playing? As for the 8800 Ultra cards, those are the cards my nephew is using in his new machine but he is an avid gamer. If you're looking to do rendering you should look at the ATi Fire GL series cards. Gaming cards and rendering cards are not one in the same.

Also I suggest if you're going to spend this much money on a machine, go with Corsair Ram. It's by far the best available. It seems as if you've allocated money on parts like the case and the power supply, which are important, but nowhere near as important as the ram.

What setup are you going to use on your 6 hard drives? Meaning are you using Raid 0,1 on them? If you're not going to be using raid, I dont see why you don't just get larger hard drives instead of having 6.

Importantly, the gaming for 3 kids, what games are they playing and what are you rendering? What software are you using for your graphics processing, this will affect what you need out of a video card.

Zep.

Default another mistake.

The 6 smaller drives is 200 bucks cheaper than 4 1 tb drives

TokenBad

Default talked to tigerdirect

I talked to tigerdirect finally in live chat and he made like 1 or 2 things different.. Like change the ide dvd burners to sata dvd burners and stuff like that...

This is updated list

http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/w...sc=mmatthe8667

Tokenbad,

What about the games vs. the rendering you're planning on doing? That's another important issue i think you should address before you go ahead and build it.

Zep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast