Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks very much MrDarn cheers for the reply.
    I'll make sure to try your suggestion out tomorrow and report back on how it goes.

PartieHonteuse if you're still reading this thread please could you read my last post? Thank you

Unfortunately your suggestion didn't work MrDarn but thanks anyway
    Typing explorer.exe in “new task” only brings up the window of “My Documents” and all its contents. There’s a panel on the left with “My Computer” and “C:\ Drive” etc. It didn’t bring back the start button or task bar though.

I can't access system restore through the command prompt, and clicking the file C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe doesn’t seem to bring up the system restore window either.

I’m still not getting a start button or task bar to appear. I’m running out of options so I might just reformat my PC, unless anyone have any other ideas? Is there a way of using system restore points through the recovery console?

Thank you

can you look in the processes section to see if a 'explorer.exe' is running? if so, click on it and chose 'end process' then try that 'run' and explorer.exe again.

I was under the impression that the start bar was run by explorer.exe (my current cisco course says so!) and that trying to run another occurance will open the window you had, therefore leads me to believe that you must already have a one running.

Worth a try eh?
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Hi again,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

You're correct, there is an explorer.exe running in the processes section. I will try what you said by ending it and running it again.
    I'm not at home to access the PC right now so I'll post here again tomorrow when I try it out.

Thank you

I tried your suggestion about ending and re-running the explorer.exe process MrDarn, but it still didn't work. All it did was make the desktop icons disappear and then slowly reappear when I ran it again. I've tried adjusting the screen position too, but the tool bar and start button isn't hidden or off the screen, it's just not there.

When I start Windows up there is an error that occurs in the middle of the desktop, it has a yellow warning triangle and exclamation mark. It is titled “Application Launcher” and says “Unable to load configuration – Ok”. Maybe that might have something to do with it?

Any other ideas please? Otherwise I’m going to do a destructive re-install of Windows

Thank you

i would say that is almost definatly the problem!

when i end explorer.exe my start button and icons disappear. restarting explorer makes them come back, so i'm concluding theirs something wrong with that part of the process. Unfortunatly, i have no idea how to fix it! reloading the process always worked for me before.

Anyone else help?
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Totally agree with you MrDarn from what I'm viewing on my screen.
    Thank you very much for your help though, we almost had it. Really appreciate it

If no one posts another suggestion then I have no problem doing a destructive restore of Windows XP. I've backed up all the files I want from the PC, plus it's running slower than it use to before the problem anyway. I'll wait to see if anyone has replied by tomorrow, if not I'd like to do the format of the PC.

Thanks again,

Airborne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12