Default Bootup requires chkdsk which then fails during stage 2 index

Hi I Still have an open thread titled, (Trojan.W32.Looksky has taken over my computer!) which with the help of the Help2go gurus in the Spyware Help Forum is close to resolution.

The problem I am in this forum looking for help with, was nonexistent prior to the above mentioned trojan infection on 9/5/07. Now every time I try to bootup the computer, shortly into the boot process I see a blue screen indicating drive inconsistancies require chkdsk to run which will run by default unless I press any key. If the chkdsk process initiates it wants to run three stages (1) check files, (2) check indexes and (3) which I never get to anyway... The stage one does complete indicating 100% accomplished but then stage two- index check never proceeds past showing 0 % complete the computer just sits there (froze up I guess) and the only thing I can do then is to unplug my power source followed by reboot and hitting the esc key prior to the chkdsk initiation, and then my computer boots up to the normal mode and seems to run fine except it will not let me run defrag telling me the chkdsk has been schedule must run prior to defrag.

I have been thinking that the virus damaged or deleted something (software) on my bootup part of my hard drive, although so far a guru from the Spyware help section working with my infection thread thought I should come to the Computer Help Forum for this issue. It seem mighty coincidental for this issue to show up immediately with the infection and have nothing to do with the infection, but I know it could be possible.

Has anyone ever heard of a program called Spinrite 6.0 byGRC ?? Looks as though this might be helpful in my situation by I really don't know. :?

I appreciate any help y'all might lend my way here.

Airboss

Just a quick question...

how big is the drive?

how long does it stay frozen before you unplug it?

Reason:

when i run checkdisk on my 200GB harddrive, it flies thru the first bit, then 'seems' to freeze on one of the checks.

its actually just taking a lot longer to do this check, and actually can take up to 2-3 hours to complete, and seems to stay on 0% for alot of that time.

Obviously, the bigger the drive, with more files to check, the longer it will take.

if you have only left it for a few minutes to 1hr, i suggest setting it away before you go to bed, then let it run all night.

If there is a few bad sectors on the drive, it may take a while to fix them, is all i'm thinking!
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

airboss:

We are sorry that you now have a "different" problem, but lets finish up in the spyware forum first.

This is the way we work, once a post is made in the Spyware forum, we don't want folks working on different problems, in the Computer help forum. What may be done, in this forum, can effect/change what is being done in the other forum.

Locking this topic for the time being. If the problem here remains, it will be unlocked.

BG

Member Help2Go Moderator

*ahem*

Locking this topic for the time being.
    What lock? :lol: 8)

Partie

It is now

BG

It is now

BG

Twice??? :lol: :wink:
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

No it's not ... I'll click the lock button, perhaps your PC has indigestion :wink:

This topic is now un locked, at least I think it is :wink:

I will tell airboss this, in the Spyware forum.

BG

Hello again!!

My system is now back to excellent condition thanks to all the technical expertise shared with me by Help2GO Techs & Experts. Mr Darn I believe you were correct also ... I may have been a little too quick to give up and unplug my system during chkdsk. Steamwiz recommended a program however which he suggested I run prior to another go at chkdsk - namely CCleaner which deletes alot temp files, old logs and other items such as faulty index items which may have been related to my percieved problem during the index file scan of chkdsk. Really not sure what it WAS, but now ALL is well My hat is off to you all at Help2go and as I stated in the Spyware forum I will be making a donation to your cause.

Thank you again!! Airboss