Default Windows XP: users take a while to load

Hi all.

A friends laptop "broke" due to his battery failing, and windows not shutting down properly. I've formatted the hard drive (as he wanted to start from scratch) and re-installed everything, setting up the 5 user accounts he required.

That was a few weeks ago, and since then he has installed limewire and Microsoft office.

The laptop loads the bios in no time, quickly moving to the user select screen. At this point, no matter which account is chosen, it takes between 7 and 15 minutes to load to a point where a desktop can be seen.

I have checked the startup items using the utility on ccleaner, and nothing looks out of place, done a full analyze and repair with ccleaner and checked for issues, and allowed ccleaner to repair everything. This problem remains.

I am currently doing a full virus sweep using Avast Home free edition, fully updated, but nothing has come up as yet.

I have no anti spyware as yet.

The only time i have experienced this before was when i was infected with a virus that filled my startup with 'to-do's' that couldn't be done (refrences to programs that did not exist) but this does not seem to be the case.

The laptop is running Windows XP sp2 fully windows updated. has 256MB ram, unsure of processor speed.

Only other things worth mentioning is the same machine just had a sound problem, which was only rectified by rolling back the driver. Sound is working fine now. Also had a problem failing to boot at all, which seemed to be resolved after removing and replacing the RAM. Again, no further problems with that exact issue.

Any ideas?
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Oh, i also checked device manager, all is reporting as being ok.

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

friends laptop "broke" due to his battery failing, and windows not shutting down properly
    Yes this will happen if on battery only and they ignore the warning that the battery is low.

That was a few weeks ago, and since then he has installed limewire and Microsoft office.
    Many/most forums recommend that you stay away from P2P file sharing.
    One problem people have is that they open all files for sharing, not just to the audio. This can give hackers access to everything.

The laptop loads the bios in no time, quickly moving to the user select screen. At this point, no matter which account is chosen, it takes between 7 and 15 minutes to load to a point where a desktop can be seen.
    Sure sounds like a dying Hard Drive to me.

The laptop is running Windows XP sp2 fully windows updated. has 256MB ram, unsure of processor speed.
    Well, XP can run with 258 RAM, I run two lap tops with about 192 but they are a stripped down XP. 512 is generally recommend as the minimum I think.

I am leaning towards a failing Hard drive, but that is just me :wink:

BG

What is the total size of the hard drive and how much is used? Does it need defragmenting? Charlie

Dying harddrive was a thought of mine as well. I forgot to mention i defragged and did a disk check.

The thing is, i cant stick the harddrive into a second laptop as its a packard bell, and their leads are diffrent for some reason.

Between the cost of a new battery, a ram upgrade and a new harddrive (which has ovet 70% free space ATM) i think i may advise a new laptop, as this one is over 5 years old. Maybe give that one to the kids as a play machine.

Is their any utilitys that will check the diskdrive? or do i have to go to the manufacturers website for that? Checkdisk did not mention any problems...

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Go to HD Tune, it is free:

http://www.hdtune.com/

Load and run it.

Any thing, in the health tab -red or yellow?

Sorry can't be more exact as I am leaving for awhile

BG

just an update to this:

i also forgot to mention the computer seems to run fine after this long startup sequence. all programs load quickly, the internet connects fine, all is ok. its just the several minutes it takes from the logon selection screen, thru the "welcome" bit and upto the desktop.

Again, once the desktop loads, all seems normal.

does this make a difference to the 'failing harddrive' theory?

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

I have an old PC, takes about 45 minutes to get windows up, after that really seems to be no problem. Basically once windows is up and running seems to work OK

According to the program I gave you, it has a dying HD.

It a free and very small program and will not cause you any problems.

BG

Cheers BG, will run that program next time i get my hands on it!

Ref Laptop harddrives: will most HDD fit most laptops? i know packard bell has a funny connection, but if the connection is correct, should it fit?

its an advent 7011 i believe.

Any advice appreciated as searching ebay was fruitless for an exact match, and the website that appears when you google advent 7011 dont list harddrives!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

I would do a google search for a hard drive using the Packard Bell model number. That will begin to tell you what you need. I replaced a laptop hard drive that looked like a different connection, but the connector actually came off to reveal a normal connection on the hard drive itself. Charlie