Thread: Thumb drives

Default Thumb drives

Good morning,

Just curious if it is possible to retrieve photos from a thumb drive that is corrupted and not functioning properly. I have a SanDisk Cruzer Micro 4.0 GB with nearly 500 photos on it and I cannot access them. I contacted Sandisk directly and they weren't much help. When the drive is placed in the USB port the U3 software does not come up and the drive is not recognized, even after shutting down and re-booting the computer. I purchased a new Cruzer Mini and it worked fine. Any suggestions? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Perry

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Have you gone to My Computer > under devices with removable storage, double click on the drive where the thumb drive is > right click >open. There should be a file you can access without going through U3, this is where your data will be stored. If your PC is not recognizing the thumb drive, are you using a USB connection on a hub or directly on the PC? If hub, try PC USB connection.

Thank you for your reply. The removable drive does not show up under drives when I click on My Computer. Again the computer does not seem to recognize the existence of the removable drive. Even after shutting the computer down and re-booting, then clicking on My Computer....there is no removable drive to click on. I have 4 USB ports on my laptop and I have plugged the Cruzer into all 4 of them with the same results. I have even tried utilizing numerous laptops and towers at my place of employment with the same result. I think the thumb drive is so corrupted it's just not going to work on any computer. I was told to use a program called Photo Restore, but that will only retrieve photos off a computers hard drive, not an external thumb drive. Back to the drawing board. Thanks again for your resposne.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If your laptop recognizes other USB devices, then it's definatly the thumb drive. Take a look at the end of the thumb drive (the end that you plug in) and see if it's bent, compare with the good one.

It is no use in suggesting software to read the drive if it can't be detected.

Member Help2Go Moderator

You can also try Knoppix. It doesn't require the driver chip that these usb devices have on them to see it in the operating system like Windows does. I remember having to re-solder a thumb drive together. The fall of their computer on top of the drive ripped some of the trace out of the board and I had to solder jumpers all over the place. Windows wouldn't read it but knoppix sure didn't have a problem

Partie

Default Follow-up

Just a follow-up to my original question, as others may be experiencing a similar problem with their thumb drives. Yesterday I was able to retrieve all 500 of my pictures from the thumb drive. Unfortunatley, they all disappeared before I could save them to a hard drive or a CD. This tells me that the problem was not the thumb drive itself, but a glitch on my computer.
    I went to Device Manager and found, Mass Storage Device. It had a small yellow dot on it with a black exclamation point. I clicked on the link, and from there was able to select updating the driver for the Mass Stoage Device. After updating the driver, the computer recognized the thumb drive and it's U3 software. My photos all appeared immediately on the screen. However, they were only there very briefly and then to my dismay disappeared before they could be saved. This same thing happened on two different laptops, and Dell and a Gateway.
    I contacted SanDisk and they stated that many laptops do not have a driver sufficient to drive some of these thumb drives, and that is where the problem lies. I was told to visit the Microsoft website and look for
    an updated driver for USB devices. While there was an updated driver for Windows 98. I did not see one for Windows XP.

Any suggestions??? Thanks!!

Hi – Can you give us the following information?

Go back to ‘Device Manager’. Scroll down the list to ‘Universal Serial Bus Controllers’, and click on the + to expand the list.
    Scroll down the list to the line that includes ‘Enhanced Host Controller’.
    Post all of the information, on that line, here
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

When I click on the plus sign the following list appears:

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    Standard Open HCD USB Host Controller
    Standard Open HCD USB Host Controller
    USB Mass Storage Device (with a yellow dot and black exclamation point)
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub

Is this what you are looking for, or do you want me to actually click on the
    link for Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller, and give you info. from the
    window that pops-up? Sorry if I did not understand.

Maybe this will help.

Driver Provider: Microsoft
    Driver Date: 6/1/2002
    Driver Version: 5.1.2600.0
    Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher

Driver Details: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hccoin.dll
    C:WINDOWS\system32\usbui.dll

Device Instance id:PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4373&subsys_0367107B&REV_80\3&13C0B0C5

I also get a Code 10 error when I try to install the USB driver hardware.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Have we tried Knoppix yet?

Partie