Thread: Two problems

Default Two problems

I have two hotmail accounts. I can sign in to one with no problem but there are intermittent problems with signing in to the other one. When I enter the email address and password into the email account I'm having a problem with, more times than not I can't sign in and it says :

Most likely causes:
    You are not connected to the Internet.
    The website is encountering problems.
    There might be a typing error in the address.

None of these can be the problem because I am typing the address correctly and I can turn around and sign immediately into the other hotmail account with no problem. I have contacted MSN Hotmail Help several times and received no reply.

The other problem is that if I cut and paste a link and email it to myself. If I click on that link I will get to the site. However, frequently, if I , instead, type the link address into the Address Bar, or cut and paste that same working link into the Address Bar, I can't get through. It will say the same thing as when I try to get into the hotmail account...."You are not connected to the Internet " etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    (Have always wondered if clicking on a link that I have emailed to myself in order to get into a site rather than typing the link address into the Address Bar would pose any kind of security issue)

Lets try a good system clean up;

Download CCleaner from :-

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ (click the download tab)

doubleclick the ccsetup.exe file and install the program...

At the Cclean setup screen &Install opitions Uncheck the Add Ccleaner Yahoo ! Tool bar unless you want it

After installing, go to Start > programs > CCleaner > Options > Advanced > UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"

Make sure the "windows" tab is selected

Under "internet explorer" tick...

Temporary internet files
    Cookies* > see Note below
    History
    Recently typed URL's
    (leave this unticked if you DON'T want to clear the drop down list in the address window of IE)
    Delete index.dat files
    Last download location
    Autocomplete form history

under "Windows explorer" these are optional, but you can safely tick them all if you wish, they are only "most recently used lists"

Other explorer MRU's
    (leave this unticked if you DON'T want to clear lists such as the start\run list)

under "System"

Tick ALL these ...

under "Advanced"

no need to tick any of these (but you can if you want, and realise what they do)

Applications tab...

These will mostly clean out old log files for these applications...

Clean:- (if you use them)

Firefox/Mozilla (optional - leave the cookies - see note)
    Opera
    Sun Java
    ZoneAlarm

Personally I clean everything in the applications tab... but you tick what you want...

Note: *If there are any cookies you want to keep (if you remove the cookie for a site you require a password for, you will need to re-enter your passward when you next visit that site) ... click options > cookies > then keep the cookies you want.

click "analyse" if you want to see a list of what is going to be removed, before it is removed.

Or

click "run cleaner" to let it get on with it's work... clicking this will result in the following pop-up

"This process will permanently delete files from your system. Are you sure you wish to proceed?"

click OK.

Let us know.

BG

Thank you, BG for your quick reply and easy- to-follow directions. I followed everything exactly as you outlined. I was not able to sign in to either Hotmail accounts until today but it may have been due to Hotmail being down or some other problem at their end because, this time, it said

Login Error
    Windows Live Hotmail was not able to sign in to your account at this time. Please try again later.

I tried different times yesterday and only today was able to sign in to both Hotmail accounts without problem.
    As for being able to click on links. It works if I click on a link I've cut and pasted and emailed to myself, and it still only works intermittently if I, instead, cut and paste the same link into the Address Bar.
    A third problem I didn't mention is that it seems to take a long time to bring up pages, ie, I'll sign into the Hotmail account or click on a link and then click to bring another page up and it takes about 1-1 1/2 minutes before the page will actually come up.

Thanks again for your help, BG. It is much appreciated.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

A third problem I didn't mention is that it seems to take a long time to bring up pages, IE, I'll sign into the Hotmail account or click on a link and then click to bring another page up and it takes about 1-1 1/2 minutes before the page will actually come up.
    . I've noticed this too, ever since I installed IE7. I held off a long time before downloading the upgrade, finally last week I took the plunge. As of to-day I have uninstalled 7 (it reverts automatically to 6 if you aren't using Vista) and have already seen speedier connections. Perhaps it's my computer that doesn't want to handle the more bloated 7 (which it is, I am told), although I'm running 2 gig of RAM. Perhaps try turning back to 6 and see what happens, you can always reinstall 7 if you're not happy. Keep us posted.

i've had a few people with coinnection problems with Messenger, and the way it was solved for them was this way:

Try each step, then retry connecting, if no joy, goto the next step...

1, sounds daft, but check your time and date settings. If these are wrong, the server may not allow the connection

2, in 'internet options' in IE7 , click the advanced tab ans scroll down to 'check for server certificate revocation'. If this box is checked, uncheck it, save and reload explorer.

3, Again in internet options/ advanced tab, check for SSL 1.0 box.
    If it is checked, uncheck it and select SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 Save and restart explorer.

If none of these steps help you, post back.

(get to internet options by opening internet explorer, select 'tools' (press alt key to display this option in vista) then internet options)
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Thank you for your reply, Canuck and MrDarn.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDarn
    .. in 'internet options' in IE7 , click the advanced tab ans scroll down to 'check for server certificate revocation'. If this box is checked, uncheck it, save and reload explorer.

3, Again in internet options/ advanced tab, check for SSL 1.0 box.
    If it is checked, uncheck it and select SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 Save and restart explorer.
    The" check for server certificate revocation " was not checked, however, SSL 2.0 and SSL 1.0 were checked. When I unchecked SSL 1.0 and instead checked SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 and tried bringing up pages, it was 99% faster. Also, I am able to cut and paste links in my emails to the Address Bar now and they work.

Thank you so much. BG, Canuck, and MrDarn for all of your help.

Is your problem resolved now? can you sign into any account with no problems?
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Yes. Both problems have been corrected. A third problem I had with slow speed in bringing up pages has also been corrected. Thanks again.