Default Toshiba A35 notebook will not start up

My Toshiba satellite A35-5209 will not start up, I've tried starting it with the battery only, also with A/c adaptor. Three green lights come on, the fan starts to run, then it immediatly shuts off. I checked Toshiba's web site, and my battery is not one that is being recalled. My computer is 3 years old. I don't know how long to expect the battery to last before replacing, is there a way to tell short of purchasing a new battery? Does it sound like the processor or mother board is shot? I don't want to put a bunch of money in this, as the screen has been cracked, but it was $1400 when purchased and has a large memory, ram and intel 4.1 processor, so would like to continue using it as a second computer. Thank you for any help you can give,
    Dee
    The Gardenthyme Lady

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If you've been using the battery for 3 years, chances are it's dead. Does it work when plugged into the power outlet?

gardenthyme,

And make sure you take the battery when trying just the ac adapter, it also sounds like a common Toshiba over heat problem in fact in the link below your model is used as an example, in one of the photos i think.

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/lapto...p-overheating/

zep.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

I did take the battery out, and tried to start it using only the ac adaptor, but it would not start, I replaced the battery, and it charged up (orange to green), but it still will not start. Like I said, the fan comes on for a second, then it shuts itself off.
    Thanks, Dee
    Dee
    The Gardenthyme Lady

zep, yes I've had the overheating problem all along, I have to clean the fans frequently. I let my son take this to college, he started having a lot of problems with it. I worked on cleaning it up when he came home, anti virus, spy bot, updates, the whole works. I thought I had it running ok, then suddenly it wouldn't stay on. Very frustrating.
    Dee
    The Gardenthyme Lady

have you any recovery disks or boot disks for this machine?

if so, try inserting one, but dont select any options just yet.

This is only to see if its reaching the harddrive section then failing, or if it is a problem with the boot section.

does the laptop have a floppy drive?
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

The recovery disc is in the machine, no go. I used air compressor and there was a lot of dirt and dust but it still will not start. Have not opened the case, It has a star screw and I haven't a way to open it, so am taking it to a local computer repair guy. He said he's tryed to fix this problem before, but the CPU is very easy to damage and wanted me to be aware of that. I said it's not working as is, so it's worth a try. He has the lubricating oil that needs to be replaced, so will take it to him, he's also going to get the info off the hard drive in case it still will not work.
    I appreciate all the help and links. You guys are great! I'll let you know the outcome.
    Dee
    The Gardenthyme Lady