Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Biz

Default Storing icons in XP

Hello again! Request for help this time involves icons gathered from the web for use on my desktop and storing them so they won't disappear from the desktop. XP seems to be different from my old ME where there was an "icons" file in the "Windows" folder where you stored them. I don't see "icons" in the XP's "Windows" file. Can you help me out? ---Biz

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

In XP there is no icon file per say. If you do a search of .ico (icon extension) you'll see the icons are used mainly from the individual programs themselves. You can create an icon file anywhere you want (I have one in My Pictures) download to this file and when editing a desktop folder/file right click > Properties > Customize tab > Change Icon button > Browse to the icon file you created > select icon > OK.

Hope this helps.

Biz

Will the icons remain on the desktop then on XP? They would disappear if handled that way on the ME.

So long as they're kept at the same address they should be fine.

Biz

Thanks Canuck! Will do as you suggest. I had just read somewhere that one reason for the disapearing icons is that they had to be in the registry in order to remain on the desktop like the the regular ones. ---Biz

Biz

I get a message saying it “can’t applied to this internet shortcut” (tried several times with other IE shortcuts also). I have experimented and can not find the solution. I have an XP but often wish for the old ME back! More help please! ---Biz

Biz,

Hi Biz see if the link is helpful:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ortcuts.mspx#4

zep.

Biz

Thanks Zep for this reply! However when I try the steps for “Change system icon” (in this case, the default IE icon), it changes ALL of the IE shortcuts to my chosen image, instead of just the one. When I try the steps for “Change any other icon” a dialog box apprars that says “Can’t Change”. Go figure. Any other ideas welcome. BIz

Biz,

Don't know the answer you would think it would be a straight forward exercise - sounds like a file association or windows registry issue I'm guessing... will look around others may reply.

zep.

Hi Biz,
    I don't think you can change the Internet shortcut icons, it is not an .ico but rather classified as an 'Internet Shortcut'. I once had a program that would scan all your 'Favorites' and ensure the links were good and at the same time it would place the sites icon into favorites, unfortunatly I've since had to reformat my PC and lost the program. Perhaps one of our members knows this program and will give us info on it. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast