Default windows xp reboots if you try to use add/remove programs

I am having trouble with a laptop running xp pro. All spyware and virus scanners show nothing, but the computer will flash a BSD and reboot if you try and access certain things such as the add/remove programs in Control Panel, or if I try to run the Blacklight rootkit removal tool. Any ideas?

You actually downloaded, installed and ran all the available spyware and virus scanners on the market? in safe mode? It still might be worth a trip next door to Spyware Help where a clean bill of slate on your HJT log might offer solid ground to begin troubleshooting.

'A' laptop or 'your' laptop. Any recent changes, modifications, installations?

Same behavior in safe mode?
    'Everything is relative', said the speed of light.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Turn the computer off. Now, power it in. As soon as it turns on tap the F8 key once every 3 seconds or so. You should get a Boot Options Menu. In that menu you should see "disable automatic restart on system failure". Select that item and press enter. IT will now ask waht operating system you would like to boot into. Select Windows XP (the first option, or the only option, depending on your setup). Try and get the system to crash again, next time it BSoDs on you it should stay on the BSoD until you power down the system with the button. Please write down the Stop error # (I.e. Stop 0x00000007e) and also the text that is separated by underscores (i.e. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) and post back that information.

Also, if you're up to it and are able to, follow this tutorial: http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Win...28BSoD%29.html and post back with the dump files in an attachment.

Partie

good call PartieHonteuse
    'Everything is relative', said the speed of light.