Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Computer hangs a long time with a sluggish response

Operating system: Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack2. Manufactured by Gateway, Inc.
    Intel (R), Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.60 GHz 2.59 GHz, 512 MB of RAM.
    Being a computer illeterate , I have no idea what goes on. The information above is written as seen on the panel.
    1) One day this past week, I tried to up load one song (~80 MB) and the computer reached between 70% and 99% and did not go any further for nine hours.
    2) An another instance as I was moving the mouse on the screen in order to excute the closing of the internet screen, the cursor was behaving as I did not have any control of it for a ten second period. I had to resort to a complete shutdown via the main switch.
    3) There were instances also when a command is given to change panels or close the internet explorer, or changing to another website, it stays undecisif for a good seven minutes or may longer if I don't interviene, even after trying to refresh the screen several times.
    All this started to happen shortly after installing a "HP C6180 All-in-One" (printer, fax, scanner, copier). And more so when added Microsoft Office Groove 2007 which I'm incapable of disabling (ignorant again).
    I realize that it's a lot of descriptions and perhaps several problems that have nothing to do with each other ... like I said earlier.. I'm ignorant when it comes to computers but I sure can tell the difference during operation.
    Any Help is GREATLY APPRECIATED.
    Sincerely,
    C.Frihi.
    "Experience is the name one gives for his/ her mistakes"

C.Frihi,

Microsoft groove is a :

Windows-based commercial product initially developed by Lotus Notes.

So is this a home computer or a business?

zep.

Default Hi Zep

This is a home computer. Since I had a purchase discount offer trough my company, I couldn't resist it. So it was installed.
    Please ask anything that might help ... since I don't know what would help you for the diasgnastics. I have a (Hwelitt Packard?) panel (TrayApp)coming up at start up. I used the CD provided with the HP C6180 printer then it stops from showing up again but as I use Windows Registry Repair Pro or Registry Booster 2 (Both installed ... bad thing?) the cycle repeats itself.
    Thanks.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

A couple of things to try before uninstalling any of the programs you mentioned. First, download Ccleaner at www.ccleaner.com and run it. After that's done, reboot and then defragment you PC Start > All Programs > Accessories > Defragment (or it may be in another sub folder) and run it. This may take awhile if you haven't defragmented for a long time.

After this is finished, go to Start Run > and type in msconfig > OK. Click on the Startup tab .. how many programs have a box with a check mark in them? If you wish, you can give us a list of these programs and we can determine if they need to be running in the background and taking up your valuable RAM.

Keep us posted.

Windows Registry Repair Pro or Registry Booster 2 (Both installed ... bad thing?)
    Many of us here find that these type of programs cause more problems than they fix.

Did you use one of these programs, right before your problem started?

Don't delete them until the PC is running well.

BG

Do you know the specs of your computer- CPU speed, Hard drive size and how much memory (RAM). I'm guessing that you are asking the computer to perform beyond what it is capable of. When overloaded, it will slow down and freeze. charlie

Default In response to Computer hangs ....

Canuck, I followed the instructions you've suggested and here are the necessary information for you to analyze:

Registry Repair Pro
    M Monitor
    Search Protection
    Registry Booster
    Adobe Update Manager
    Dwtrig20
    Adobe Reader Spe…
    HP Digital Imaging
    Windows Desktop
    Microsoft Office Groove
    NvCpl
    Hpztsb11
    Nwiz
    Drag to Disc
    Roxio Watch Tray
    (no name but this) HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Ver…..
    iTunes Helper
    qttask
    ISUSPM
    Issch
    Zlclient
    HPWuSchd2
    Search Protection
    Realsched
    Groove Monitor
    ctfmon
    All the above had a check in their respective boxes.

Basementgeek, Yes I started to run them before this undecisif and hanging behavior started to show.

And the last but not the least, Charlie (Grim322), all the pertaining data for the computer has been mentionned in the very first post as I started to ask for help. On the other hand, I'm glad you brought up the question because I've omitted to mention the hard drive capacity and how much of it being used. Total : 76.3 GB, Used: 44.5 GB. I hope this will contribute to your inquiry.

To everyone , my sincere gratitude and appreciation.
    C.Frihi.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I've checked all entries you've submitted .... no wonder your PC is slow!! With the exception of Zlclient (Zone Alarm) and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Ver….. ( you can increase the size of window to get the rest of the entry) I suggest you uncheck all other entries. Click OK and reboot your PC .. when rebooted, you'll get the configuration window, check the box (to not show window again) >OK. Note, you are not deleting these programs as you can get to most through Start > All Programs, you're just stopping them from running on Startup which is not necessary at all. A recommendation, when installing programs, it usually asks if you want the program added to your toolbar (bottom right of your screen next to the time) do not select this option, you can if you want select to put a shortcut on your desktop, but even that in most cases isn't necessary. Most companies feel their software is the most important software in the world and you must have it constantly have it running in the background .. not so.

Note. Your list did not show an antivirus program (when installed, this should have a chekmark next to it). After you've completed the above, suggest you download the free version of AVG or Avast (just do a google search for free AVG or Free Avast) these are fairly good antivirus programs and they're free .. download only one of these.

We're still not done. Since you haven't been running an antivirus program, please follow the instructions here http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Pro...Hijackers.html in step 5, it asks you to copy and paste your Highjackthis log, please add it to your next post, and we'll get the Spyware experts to take a look and recommend some actions for you to do.

The good news is, if you follow the above advice, you should have a faster and happier PC. Keep us posted.

Default computer hangs and sluggish.

Hi again Kanuck,
    As soon as I finish writing this message, I'll get on it and uncheck the boxes that are not supposed to have it. Thanks again, your help has been and is very appreciated.
    For the anti-virus, I have been using "
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 7.0.337.000" , True Vector Security Engine version 3, DAT file version.
    Driver version 7.0.337.000
    Anti-Virus engine version 5.0.176.0, DAT file version .01200710.2525
    Anti-Spam version 4.9.1.8211; and it provides protection for:
    Inbound/ Outbound (fire wall)
    Anti-Virus/ Anti-Spyware
    IM Security
    1) Do you think I should replace them? I've had real good protection with Zone Alarm so far.
    2) The CCLEANER that you suggested to use, will that be a keeper and rid of the other two (Registry Repair Pro and Registry Booster 2)?
    I'll definitely let you know of the outcome.
    And thanks again to all of you.
    C.Frihi.

Default Hi there Kanuck!

My purpose of returning was to thank you for unselfish time and great efforts into making me see the light.
    After rebooting the unit, I verified one more time on the msconfig start up boxes and found a couple of them {HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentvers... , ZLClient, NvCpl (RUNDLL32.EXE), ctfmon (C:\WINNT\System32) } that acquired the checks again without my doing.
    I've talk a little bit on the previous message regarding the Zone Alarm and forgot to mention it updates each time the computer is on.
    I'll be on the lookout for your advice about the Registry cleaner/ repair software at your convenience.
    Thanks for who you are and what you did.
    Sincerely, C.Frihi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast