Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Computer won't boot past first screen

My system is an AMD 64 FX, 2 gig of ram, 256 video, 160g HD, Windows XP. When I power up my system all I see is the first screen which displays my mother board info. ie: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, no other info. Along the bottem of the screen it says press delete to enter set up which when pressed nothing happens. Also this screen scrolls up about 1/4 of the screen. Occasionally I can get it to boot up to the set up screen and tried to get it to boot from sys. disk thinking it might be a OS file corrupted but it won't boot from disk. When this problem first started if I did a soft boot a couple of times it would then boot up properly. I have made no changes or additions to this system previous to this problem it just started occuring.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thank You!

kingami,

Desk top or laptop? , can you here or see the power supply fan spin, or the hard drive spin up.

zep.

Yes the power supply fans are working as well as all other system fans CPU, Video card,& case fans. Yes the hard drive is powering up and spinning.
    This is a desk top system.

kingami,

Not sure lets wait for input from others.

One other question can you boot to safe mode by power/off /on and tap the f8 key during restart also if you are trying to boot from cd rom you need to check boot order in bios if you can get to it, sounds like you can't get that far.

zep.

Yes when I was able to get into the bios I did change boot order to try and boot from CD and it wasn't able to.
    No I can't boot to safe mode.
    Kingami

kingami,

From my chair it looks like a likley power supply or mother board failure since both drives are not booting, cdrom and c-drive even if the fans are spinning it is no guarantee the power supply is a 100% may need to be tested, you could reseat all connections to drives ect.

That's all i can offer stay posted others will reply with fresh ideas..

zep.

Agreed with zep, if you cant enter bios, and it wont get past this point, then theirs either a problem with the bios settings (either manually, or on the chip itsself) or power, as if the bios is passable, either the cdrom isnt getting the power it needs to work, or, after skipping that section of boot order, the HD isnt getting the power to boot.

i would have said it was a harddrive problem first, if the cd drive was functioning ok, but both at once points to either bios corruption or power failure.

Hopefully its power for you, as any good PC repair shop should be able to test this for you for a few small $£$£. Failing that, it may get expensive, and not knowing which hardware is at fault could cause you to buy things you dont need.

shame you did not have an old pc lying around you could pinch the power from!

One other thing tho, have you 2 or more sticks of ram?

if so, might be worth trying one at a time, just to eliminate it, although i really dont think thats the trouble... remember static and power safety when opening the case!

also...just incase you do, maybe try unplugging the power from anything you dont really need? like slave harddrives, modems,extra sound cards etc?

if the power is failing, this extra drain may just be stopping the boot process. Although this wont be a fix, it will point to the power supply failing.

of course, if this does not help, it could still be power!
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Yeah I am starting to think along those lines as well. Althought it seems to be getting power it may not be enough to boot past the first screen. I have thought about the possibility of a bad stick of Ram but I decided before hand to have a repair facility look at it.
    I did find out though I had a bad Chipset fan told them to replace it if there is any other issues I will post what the out come is and I hope it will help anyone else with a similar problem.
    I really appreciate all the help so far, Thx guys!

Kingami

kingami,

Could a dead BIOS battery cause this, I dont know the symptons of a dead BIOS battery other then the clock would be wrong. Lets see what others say about it.

zep.

hmmmn, interesting..... never thought of that, and it should have been a first thought on a machine switched off for a while!

good call!
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast