Default Word automatically creating temp files but not deleting

Hi,

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 6000 running Windows XP and just updated to Microsoft office 2007. System is checked daily for spyware and viruses, and I have no reason to believe there is a virus or trojan. I'm having a problem with Word...

I'm getting automatically saved temp files in my "My Documents" folder where I normally save my files, but Word is not automatically deleting them like I believe it is supposed to be. As a result, every time I open a document, I get a temp file saved in the same place associated with it, so have a folder full of them. On the limited reading I did, it seems as though there is a hardcoded location it saves those temp files, but deletes them when the document is closed, so I'm not sure how it got changed or if the memory has become a problem.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Heather

afortiori,

Please see the link for possible solution. You may also Google these key words and search it yourself for additional information or clues (Word creates temp file).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/145050

zep.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

Zep,

Thank you for the link, but the only info I found in it contained an explanation of why word saves temp files. This I do understand, I was hoping to find a fix for the fact that it's not automatically deleting them as it should be. I have tried searching the internet, but can't seem to find anything. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

afortiori,

This is the best i can do for you.

Definition of a temporary file
    A temporary file is a file that is created to temporarily store information in order to free memory for other purposes, or to act as a safety net to prevent data loss when a program performs certain functions. For example, Word determines automatically where and when it needs to create temporary files. The temporary files only exist during the current session of Word. When Word is shut down in a normal fashion, all temporary files are first closed and then deleted.

If the program is malfunctioning perhaps reinstall it???

zep

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Take a look at this post http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-820581.php , follow the link to MS article .. it may help.

Member Help2Go Moderator

I could be mistaken on this but I do believe those are backups of the files you're currently working on. Word saves your file every 5 minutes by default on word 2000 or higher in the directory where you opened the document from. This is in case word, or your pc crashes after it was saved and before the next 5 minutes (or if you changed it to be later). I wouldn't delete those, especially if you are working on something important.

Partie

I figured it might be that there was some kind of problem with Word. However, the problem started before I installed a new version of word (upgraded to 2007) and has continued. I've deleted them and it keeps my regular file intact, I was just hoping it was some kind of easy fix. But if no one knows anything off hand, not a big deal, I'll just keep searching. Thanks for the input!

Heather

click TOOLS>OPTIONS>FILE LOCATIONS

Check to see where it is set to save t he Auto Recover files.

IN a few days, I'll be able to look a little deeper at this issue, but this is my Friday night, and I won't be back at work until Tuesday Afternoon.

The location its set to save files is:

C:\Documents and Settings\Heather Marie\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\