Default MSN Messenger 2008 (8.5) problem

Hi all,

I recently formatted my computer and upon reinstalling everything, I installed the latest (no-Beta) version of MSN Messenger. The application for chat works fine, but I am now having a problem with the email notification. In the main window you have the email icon which tells you how many unread emails you have. When you click this, it opens up IE7 where you can read your emails.

The problems is that when I have finished reading my email, the email icon in the main messenger window still says I have 3 (for example) unread emails and will not update until I sign out and then back into messenger.

Another thing which I think is related is where I initially boot up my pc and I get to the login screen, it says under my name that I have 1 unread email which I know I haven't. I mean I installed several programs after MSN and 1 included a Java update, could this be the problem?

The email notification was actually working for a short period during reinstalling everything, it's just that now I have finished it does not seem to work properly. I check my email in Firefox normally as well as IE sometimes. Please help as this is driving me crazy.

One thing that is weird, when I send an email to my hotmail.com account and then use messenger using this account. The email button works correctly stating 1 new email unread, when I use the button to read the email, the button updates correctly stating no emails unread. It's using my primary hotmail.co.uk account I get the problem as stated in my previous post.

I have resolved the issue, for those who are interested this are the steps I followed:

1. Determine what version of Messenger is installed on the computer, and then upgrade Messenger if it is required:

a. Visit the following Web site:

http://spaces.msn.com/messenger-support/blog/cns!8B3F39C76A8B853F!3772.entry

b. Determine whether you are running the latest version of Messenger. Download the latest version, if it is required.

2. Change the Windows Explorer settings.

a. Right-click Start, and then click Explore to open Windows Explorer.

b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.

c. Click the View tab.

d. In the Advanced settings list, select Show hidden files and folders under Hidden Files and Folders.

e. Click to clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box.

f. Click OK to close the Folder Options window.

3. Delete the Contacts Cache folder. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Right-click Start, and then click Explore to open the Windows Explorer window.

b. In the Windows Explorer window, locate the folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Windows logon name\Contacts\Your Messenger e-mail address

Note: Windows Logon name is the logon name that you use to sign in to windows. Your Messenger email address is the address that you use to sign in to Windows Live Messenger.

c. Delete all the files that are in the Your Messenger email address folder.

d. Right-click Start, and then click Explore to open the Windows Explorer window.

e. In the Windows Explorer window, locate the folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Windows logon name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\Your Messenger email address

Note: Windows Logon name is the logon name that you use to sign in to windows. Your Messenger email address is the address that you use to sign in to Windows Live Messenger.

f. Delete the real and the shadow folders that are in the Your Messenger email address folder.

4. Try to sign in to Windows Live Messenger again.

Thankyou for posting your solution, hopefully this will help others with the same problem
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7