Default How do I back up Outlook?

Hello!

So I've fixed my laptop for the time being and am now transfering my files and folders to my external Hard Drive.

How do I back up my Outlook? I have many folders in Outlook with emails in - I am self employed and a freelancer so its necessary to keep many emails - I receive approximately 100 a day - none of them spam.

Can I transfer Outlook some how to the external Hard Drive?

Or is there some other way of doing it?

I have no CD/DVD re-writer.

I would also like to back up the Outlook Address Book if possible - although its not imperative as I can print it out.

Also, I have lots of email addresses that aren't in the address book as they send them to me and I hit reply, so they are in the "to", "cc", "bcc" fields when I type the first letter but not in the address book. Is there something I can set up to make Outlook automatically add the email addresses to the address book?

All help gratefully received!

BB

BondiBeach,

It could depend on the version you have, so I'm going to give you this link see what option is best for you, check out the link let us know. No cd/dvd? what about pen drive...flash drive

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...UTLOOK&spell=1

outlook express: http://www.google.com/search?q=outlo...e=utf8&oe=utf8
    zep.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I believe what you're looking for is the Outlook backup ad-on. Resd the Overview, and if you like what you see, download ... I've used it for a couple of years now and no problems ... Note, it also backs up contacts etc. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Default Outlook backup

When I had a Windows '98 desktop computer, there was a program that was like an archive for the Outlook. I can't remember what it was called now.

Does anyone remember what it was called?

I think the newer computers would have it on them.

There are a lot of backup programs out there ... take a look http://www.google.ca/search?source=i...programs&meta=

Member Help2Go Moderator

Backing up outlook is as easy as copying all files in C:\documents and settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

and then for your address book do a search for *.pab and *.wab on the drive and copy those files over. That's it.

partie

Hello everyone!

Goodness there's a few different ideas here. I've been working and life has taken over, so we're back tp Monday again my day off so I'm having a look at backing up my Outlook.

It's Outlook not Outlook Exress and I use Office Professional 2003.

I do have a USB flash drive, however, I'd really like to back it up onto the external Hard Drive, as USB flash drives are so easy to lose.

I'll have a look at the variuos suggestions and let you know how I get on.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions.

I wonder if anyone has an answer for the question below, as I can't see that anyone has a solution to that one?

"Also, I have lots of email addresses that aren't in the address book as people send emails to me and I hit reply, so, when I create a new email, the addresses are in the "to", "cc", "bcc" fields when I type the first letter of the person's name, but not in the address book. Is there something I can set up to make Outlook automatically add the email addresses to the address book?"

Thanks so much!

BB

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 4000
    Pentium 3 600mhz
    256mb Level 2 cache
    512 RAM
    75gb Hitachi Hard Drive
    25gb Free Space
    Windows XP Professional
    Office 2003 Professional

There is no auto save address in Outlook as there is in Outlook Express. There is however an free add on you can download from here http://www.publicshareware.com/outlo...ter-reply.html . I haven't used it, but I've downloaded it and am going to give it a try. Hope this helps.

It's actually very easy to do what you want to do. First create a new folder on your external drive, name it email back up or whatever you want. Then In outlook....

File>import/export>export to a file>personal folder file (tick include subfolders)>browse to the new folder you created earlier>finish.

To import back do the same again except this time you will select import from another file or folder, then just browse to the pst file in that new folder, select it & finish.

EDIT: & finish (something weird going on when trying to post - keeps chopping off the end!!??)