Default using TV as secondary monitor

I connected my phillips HD tv to my Packard bell computer. initially, it shows the wallpaper, but no icons and no toolbar. please advise how i can see the entire screen of my computer on the tv

regards

micalar

Hello micalar

Well, the good news is that you are likely already in possession of the solution. The bad news is that you'll have to dive into your television's user manual to extract it. While on the same adventure but with a different t.v. I learned of the different settings that govern the t.v.'s ability to serve as a computer screen.

And when I say I learned "of" them that's exactly what I mean because the terms and acronyms used were more foreign to me than egyptian hireoglyphics. In the end I followed the directions as best I could but what I soon came to realise is that the most important information in the process was which button(s) on the remote were to be used to make the necessary changes.

I know this may sound ridiculous and you might think I'm winding you up but I'm not. Once I got the buttons on the remote figured out I just kept scrolling through the settings for the computer until I saw my entire desktop. There weren't so many options to be sure, it's not like I was there half the day but there were a couple settings that gave me either a distorted view of my desktop or a partial view.

That is my guess for your situation. My apologies for not being able to provide you with a more educated guess but it is my hope that this will serve to be an educational guess.
    'Everything is relative', said the speed of light.

micalar,

Part of the problem is Your TV'S usual video signal is called NTSC (PAL if you live in Europe). This signal is different then the one generated by your computer. Computers use signals measured in pixels: 320x200, 320x240....up to 1600x1200. Most TV'S can only get about 500 lines of resolution, in computers that is like 500 verticle pixels. The video amplifiers in televisions cannot handle higher resolutions either, factor this in you are left with resolution of 640x480.

EDIT : I did not see the hd tv reference till now so some of my information may not apply, so what type of hd is it the options are 720p or 1080i or 1080p. What type of video card is in your pc? because you need to set the video card to display the native resolution of the tv. How is it connected, what type of cable? If you are using S video you are limited to 640x480 or 720x480 if it is a wide screen.

zep.

Sorry I am late on this but its just a video setting on your PC you need to change. You are currently using extended desktop. Drag your mouse far over to the right & it will appear on your TV right? If you want your monitor & TV to show the same thing you need to select clone or whatever your video card manufacturer calls it. Right click a blank area & select setings then advanced. There should be options there to play around with. Alternatively there will be software to do what you want on the CD supplied by your video card manufacturer.