Default Safely Remove Hardware External Hard Drive cannot be stopped

Hi all (Again!)

The other problem I have now (!) is with the external Hard Drive I am backing up my Laptop files and folders onto.

When I click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon and ask it to stop the external Hard Drive so I can remove it, I get the error message:

"The device "Generic volume" cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later."

I have had this error message since last Tuesday when I fixed the original error message (see earlier Topic) and so daren't unplug it or turn it off in case I lose everything again.

Is it safe to close down my laptop and then remove the External Hard Drive?

Or should I do something else to make it safe?

Thanks again in advance!

BB

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 4000
    Pentium 3 600mhz
    256mb Level 2 cache
    512 RAM
    75gb Hitachi Hard Drive
    25gb Free Space
    Windows XP Professional

External Hard Drive:
    Seagate FreeAgent Desktop Drive
    USB 2.0 250gb
    7200 spindle speed

in my experience with external drives, this is common... in fact, instead of being 'hot swappable' in vista, i MUST shut down the pc before i remove it.

i think thats because i have a program that downloads directly too it tho, so of course it will be in use.

also look at things like windows media player using MP3's for a playlist, using files from the drive etc.

Wait for others to reply, but i am confident removing the drive when shut down will be ok, as long as you are not disconecting it whilst power is going too it. (based on my experience of it)
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7