Default A couple of mysterious problems.

As usual my computer is doing some wierd shit for no appearant reason just out of the blue one day.For some reason my computer isn't recognizing one of my external drives.It was working fine, then one day I go into my computer, and I don't see the drive there anymore.I unplugged it and plugged it back in, and it made that sound computers make when you plug something into the usb port.The drive itself is plugged in nice and tight and no power cord issues.

I don't get it.Another problem is that some of my media files on my internal drive have stopped playing recently.When I click on one it doesn't give an error message, or anything.The media player opens and nothing plays.The screen is just blank.The AVG scanner runs every morning, and hasn't picked anything up.I ran a Panda active scan recently....same results.

I'm not sure what other info you need to help me with this, but i'm using windows xp pro.

my computer isn't recognizing one of my external drives
    Sounds like you have more than one -does the other one(s) work OK ?

Try this drive on another XP/Vista machine. Does it work OK ?

On the media files. Go into your Hard drive, to were one of them are stored. Right click on it>Properties. Is the there any more than a few Kilobytes on them?

BG

yeah, the other one works fine.i lpugged the one that doesn't work into a different computer, and it didn't show up on that one either, so i guess it's something wrong with the drive.i don't know what it could be though.i've only had it for a few years.could it have just died on me already?

as for the media files, the file sizes are the same as they always were.by the way, i've encountered that problem before, so that was the first thing i looked for.sorry i didn't mention it.

hello?can anyone help me with my problem?

can someone help me?

Plug the drive back in and open device manager, check for issues.

if all looks well there, perhaps try the steps shown in the spyware forum and post a hyjack this log?

if you need a step by step guide on device manager, let me know.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

the device manager says my hard drive is working properly.how do i do the hijack this log thing?

i checked disk management and the drive has a red circle with a white block on it, and says disk 1 unknown not initialized and unallocated.i right click, choose initialize disk, the hour glass figure comes up for about 3 seconds like its gonna do something, and then nothing.it still says not initialized.i'm fearing this may mean my drive is dead, but i'm hoping( probably in vein) that's not the case.if it is, can i save the stuff that's on it?also what about those media files that won't play?

can someone tell me how i can save the stuff on my drive?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If you have access to another computer, put your hard drive in it as a slave and see if you can save to CD/DVD. Another way would be to take it into a reliable tech store and have them put in a new hard drive and see if they can transfer the old data to your new drive. They'll probably charge for this service though.