Default External Harddrive Question

Hello all,

I just purchased an external harddrive and I have a couple of questions...
    The harddrive is: http://www.futureshop.ca/marketing/s...gon=&langid=EN
    but incase that doesn't work: Released 21 Dec/07. TrekStor's Data Station maxi m.u 3.5" external hard disk is the ideal solution for daily backup purposes and for the transport or exchange of data. The mobile Data Station maxi m.u can be used in either vertical or horizontal position. It offers a simple solution for extending the storage area of a PC, with an on-off switch on the front of the device which makes it easy to operate. More Info
    WebID: 10096146
    Mfr. Part Number: 63950
    Average Seek Time 12ms
    Data Buffer 8MB, 16MB
    Included In Box See The Features Section
    Interface USB
    Internal or External External
    Maximum Data Transfer Rate 27.7Mbps Read, 17.1Mbps Write
    PC/Mac Both
    Product Dimensions 20.5(W) x 11.5(H) x 3.5(D) cm
    Product Weight 1.6 kg
    Rotations Per Minute (RPM) 7200RPM
    Software Included Yes
    Storage Capacity 500GB
    System Requirements USB Enabled
    Type of Media External Hard Drive
    Warranty 2 Years Limited

My two questions are:
    When I look in My Computer, it says that there is only 465 gb on a 500 gb harddrive. I know there is space lost, but is that an appropriate amount?

I'm also unable to transfer files that are 4.5 gigs and over it seems. I tried copying over a Company of Heroes iso and a Hellgate iso (4.5 and 7 gigs respectively) and both had an error that said the harddrive doesn't have enough space. I've formated the hard drive and I'm sure that theres sufficient space because I copied and pasted smaller files to take up the 7 gigs of space. I've also tried power cycling. Any suggestons?

Thanks

Check the drive to see what file format it is, you should be able to right click it from 'my computer' and select properties for the information. FAT32 can't deal with files larger than 4gb.

If the file system is fat32 you would have to reformat it to ntfs.
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

cool thanks mich! I swear i formated it to ntsc, but apparently it didnt seem to change it, i'll try again.

Edit: Thanks! It fixed the problem!