Default Using the same broadband modem without needing a network

I'd like to set up my laptop to run from my ntl/virgin modem (mainly as a backup to access the internet in the event my desktop PC crashes - which it did recently and cost me many hours of work to restore!). However, before I go ahead I'd like to know if it's possible to do that without having to run a home network (and without interfering with my current internet setup - for example, will my modem overwrite the existing IP address with a new one?). I'm a bit embarrassed about having to ask such a basic question, but my ISP helpdesk has not lived up to its name!

Not sure what Virgin have given you, but easiest way is to use a router with 2 or more ethernet ports. If you buy one remember there is a difference between cable & ADSL routers (Virgin do both so I am not sure which technology you are on).

you should be able to just unplug your modem from your desktop computer while the modem is still on and plug it straight into your laptop it won't change your online ip address. However if your using a usb cable from your modem to your computer you may need to install drivers on your laptop.

There is also a possibility you have more than one port at the back of your modem allowing you to plug more than one computer in at the time, both will have the same online ip address, just a different lan ip address(in other words offline ip address).
    | UltraMad Computers Admin | http://www.ultramadcomputers.co.nz |

This is great advice. Thanks guys. I just needed a bit of moral support and to understand that I won't screw things up with my existing PC. I'm off to give it a go straight away.

Another bit of info, if the modem has a USB and an ethernet connection, you can use both. Simply hook one computer to each- no router needed. Charlie