Default Audio not working

I am having an issue with my kids computer. Not sure what happened but the computer ended up having to be restored and now the audio does not work. I have gone to device manager and under the sound are these things

audio codecs
    legacy audio drivers
    legacy video capture devices
    media control devices
    realtek AC97 audio
    video codecs

There are no yellow exclamation points to indicate a problem. If I go to control panel and then to sound it shows there is now audio device and everything is greyed out. I have also gone into msconfig and made sure my audio has not been turned off or stopped.

This is a compaq presario computer running windows xp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Danielle

danielle0874,

Sounds like you need the Drivers reinstalled, go back in Device Manger and Double click ---->realtek AC97 audio<---- go through the trouble shooting option you will see it when you double click it. Just in case it is something simple, if not then we can direct you to the driver install..

zep.

Thank you for your reply, I have updated the realtek drivers, and still is not working.

Please tell us what you mean by "restored"

Was this XP system restore back to a time it worked OK, or do you mean that you reinstalled the operating system?

BG

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Go here http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false save the update/driver to your desktop. Now go and install the driver by browsing to the newly downloaded driver (if driver is zipped, unzip first).

Also, it sounds daft, but check the leads by removing them and re-attaching them.

i had a problem for days once, and it turns out the kids had knocked the speaker lead out of the lime green socket by accident, and replaced it into the mic socket without saying anything!

Frustrating after checking sound cards, drivers etc, for it to be something that easy
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7