Default Knoppix os won't recognize flash drives

Hi I have about a four year old wintergreen systems computer. I use XP on it and one day when I went to turn it on I got the beloved
    windows/system32/config/system file corrupt or missing message.
    So I went to your site and found the excellent tuturial on saving files using Knoppix, I downloaded it no problem, it will run on my computer without any problem and I can see that my files are indeed still there in my comatose computer.
    However my flash drive won't show up on the desk top. I tried two different ones, both memorex (one is 512mb, and one is 1g). Then I tried them both on a working computer, where they both worked fine. They worked on my computer before this and I actually think that Knoppix sees them because when I shut down the computer, it says it's removing memorex drive or something like that, but they won't show up on the desktop. Is there a way to find them, like on Windows going to my computer and seeing all the drives? Where should I look?

Thanks for any help!

Member Help2Go Moderator

Yes, there is a way for it to show up. You may have to "mount" the device. My instructions will be a little off sine I don't use Knoppix nearly as much as I used to be the menus should be close...

If you right click the desktop you should get a menu that allows you to add a new link to a device. Tell it that it's a disk and then when it asks for the mount point or the device it should be something along the lines of /dev/sda1 the most important part is that it's "sdxN" where x is a letter representing the usb device instance and N is the partition number. After that it's just normal stuff.

Partie

I plugged my pen drive in before I booted Knoppix and it was on the desk top when it started. Charlie