Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My windows xp os wont install on my new computer?

i have built a new computer and am trying to install windows xp os and it formatted my hard drive then loaded it onto the hard drive now its tryin to install it off the hard drive and it wont install the screen comes up and says aproximate time to install 39 minutes and it remains on that time for a while the screen changes telling me different things about xp and then it cuts out randomly after 1 t0 3 milnutes i have timed it. I have checked that my cpu heat sink is installed and isnt lose any advice from anyone. about how to fix it?

Try using a non usb keyboard/mouse and don't plug in anything else that uses usb and retry the installation.
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

It still sounds like a heat issue. What type of thermal compund did you use on the heatsink? Was it already applied or did you apply your own? Charlie

i will try unpluging keyboard and moues i used the thing that came attached i have a intel quadcore.

update i tried leaving the power on and it now switches off before it gets to the install screen power on motherboard not powered up the computer.

removing all usbs didnt work

please can you help me

ffrog,

Only so much the forum can do you have a difficult problem to try and solve this way, a power problem can be difficult to trouble shoot it has been recommend to disconnect things I would continue doing that until you can keep the pc running, pull the video card if present pull some ram out disconnect the monitor these things should be done 1 at a time and power up the pc and check the results.. to see if you can keep it running.

When you say it shuts down does everything stop, Mother board fan, power supply fan.. As if you turned off the power.

You did not answer Grim322 question about (thermal paste compound) on the processor.

zep

I never got an answer to my question. Charlie

woops sorry didnt read my own post its pre applied grey stuff

That fact that a screen comes up and it tries to work means that basically, everything is hooked up OK. So, something is going wrong while it is running. With the preapplied thermal compound, it should be OK as long as you are sure it is the correct heat sink and it is installed OK. I would check to see if everything is mounted securely. Are all of the wires and plugs installed correctly and not loose? Are you sure you the motherboard fits the case properly and is not grounding out on the back of the board somewhere? Basically, go back to the beginning and double check everything. Charlie

yeah i know its not grounding i checked that but the thing is it formatted the harddrive which took like 3 hours but thanks for the advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast