Default Booting problem (resolved! now: Issue with Device Manager)

Good evening/morning/afternoon (choose one)!

I have come into contact with a computer whose problems confound me. This thing, a Windows XP Home box (Sony VAIO, Pentium 4 2.66 GHz, Service Pack 2, 760 MB RAM), was, by all accounts, up and running fine plus dandy up until about two days ago. Of course, this dandy-fine running was about a month and a half ago; the computer has since been moved some 150 miles and sat on a shelf for the duration. Now, without apparent reason, the thing is having trouble staying booted.

Here's the symptoms. I start up the computer, regular style, and about half the time it manages to complete the boot process and get to the XP welcome screen. I can let it sit there as long as I feel like it, it's perfectly happy displaying the two profiles on the computer for selection.

When I click a profile, either one, it loads the desktop and icons and start bar and all that business, whereupon it has about ten to fifteen seconds before locking up completely. Which is enough time for it to bring up the window saying that I've been playing around with MSconfig and installed an Antivirus software piece, and to allow us to perhaps open the start menu or kill a system tray program before the end cometh.

Starting up in Safe Mode, it runs fine. Very fine, in fact. I'm currently running on this box under Safe Mode (with Networking), on Firefox, running AIM 6 in the background as well. No sound and cramped screen resolution, but it gets the job done, I suppose.

So we tried msconfig, and disabled everything except Microsoft services for bootup, and we still have the same problem with regular startup. We've opened the case and made sure everything was seated properly, and that no cables were loose. Running the most recent version of Avast! Antivirus revealed a sum total of zero viruses. Device Manager doesn't see any conflicts of resource, and we don't have an install disk for XP home to make repairs--at least, not easily on hand at all (and truth be told it might be easier to use an XP Pro license we have instead, if the OS turns out to be the problem).

Other things of note: On the times where it does not quite boot up to the welcome screen, the hangup occurs during the part of the boot process where you see the windows logo and the progress bar lookin' thing. If the bar stops, it is likely that it will not start again, though if I push the button on the tower itself the thing does enter Hibernate mode just fine. Which doesn't do us a lot of good, since it never successfully resumes the process.

Also of note is that I have tried running from the Alternate Startup Options menu (where one would normally choose a variant of Safe mode) the Enable Boot Logging mode, which reliably causes the system to hang before getting to the welcome screen. In these cases, however, not only does the system hang at the logo, but it most often stops displaying at least one of the colors on the monitor--sometimes only the green remains displayed, other times the red and green, and I think once we've seen red and blue as the hues remaining. Curious.

I'm not sure what steps to take next. Ideas?
    "It's everywhere, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, but the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." ---Unknown Armies

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Have you tried System Restore to an earlier time, if not that have you tried "Last known good configuration' ?

Knew I forgot to mention something. Tried both; no change.
    "It's everywhere, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, but the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." ---Unknown Armies

No clue, but running in safe made w/networking will not offer virus protection so be careful or you will have additional problems, wish I could offer more...

zep.

it working in safe mode points me to it being software related...

follow the steps in the spyware forum and post a hyjack this log...
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Good call, Sir Dagnabit. After the virus scans (and a brief runthrough of a "Registry Cleaner" shareware thing) did their thing, the computer starts fine outside of Safe mode. I guess Avast! missed something in its scan?

So that problem is solved.

Now, though, Device Manager recognizes a fault in one of the video devices, namely "Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller" which is listed alone in the Display adapters section next to "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200." I mention the second one only because the Windows troubleshooter error reporting thing came up when we did manage to get the whole system up and going, and the solution routine suggested that the NVIDIA drivers were not up to date.

I'm installing the freshest drivers as I type this, but I have my doubts that this will resolve the Code 10 ("this device cannot start") error on the Intel video controller. I'm leery of disabling the thing as is often my knee-jerk reaction to something exhibiting a problem in Device Manager. Any ideas on how to test this for solutions?