Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Unable to communicate with Applet

Hi..I'm getting this error message :" Unable to communicate with Applet after 5 attempts" I get this message when I try to log on a virtual call center.. I'm working with home business IRC chat..I can't access it..

-I have Window XP home edition version 2 service Pack 2
    -Internet explorer 7
    -I installed Java 1.6.0 _03..
    -I have BitDefender anti-virus 2008
    -Window defender

I did a Java test at Java's website..it is working!!

Please help..!!

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

One observation I have is, you're using 2 anti virus programs .. running 2 can conflict with one another and may be the cause of your problem. Even if it's not the cause, I suggest you uninstall Window Defender, or at a minimum stop it from running.

Others may have some suggestions, so stay tuned.

Hi Maggie,

FYI (sorry Canuck ) Windows defender is just built in spyware protection, not antivirus. You should be fine leaving it alone.

You could be having a firewall issue, try checking to see if there are any firewall settings you should know about the application you are trying to use.

Failing firewall settings the only other thing i can think of would be did you uninstall the versions of java that were already installed before you installed another one? Java installs tend to just pile up on each other over time. If you didn't remove the old before installing the new, I would suggest doing that through control panel>add/remove programs. Uninstall all the java installs, then go to their website and get the newest version.
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Hi Mich...

Let me start by saying please keep in mind that I'm basically illiterate when it comes to computer..so please elaborate on the settings you are referring to..

According to the call center the application is Java based..in addition they did mention in their guidelines that IRC chat means that Port 80 and Port 443 should be open..I called my internet cable provider..they told me that they blocked port 80 for inbound traffic but 443 is open..I'm not sure if that could cause the error message I'm getting..

The Java old version that was on my computer is 1.4.0_3..I tried to uninstall it but I keep getting an error message : The installShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched. Class not registered.
    With that being said..I went to Java website to test if the latest version I installed is working..the result of the test included the identification of the version which was correct..also they had an animated figure on the screen and I was able to see it..which according to them means that Java is functioning properly..

What do you think?

maggie, what site is it that you are having the problems with?

Have you used it before with no problems? If so then have you made any recent changes on your pc?
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Mich..It is a Virtual Call Center..in other words, I would log on their IRC chat site to take calls for them..so I'm working from home answering their calls..BTW, that was my first attempt to log on their IRC chat site..

As I said in their guidelines they stated that my modem had to have access to port 80 and port 443..my cable Co. informed me that Port 80 is blocked as to inbound traffic only..and 443 is open for inbound and outbound traffic..so is it possible that 80 being blocked for inbound traffic could be the reason I'm unable to log on their IRC chat site?

Please let me know what you think...TIA

The reason for asking what site, it is turns out that you aren't the first person with this problem, using a virtual call centre site with IE7 meaning that it could be the site and microsoft's problem and you could be out of luck.

Unless you are running a web server there is no reason to have inbound ports 80 and 443 open. These are also normal outbound ports used so you shouldn't have issues accessing anything that way.

I would suggest trying firefox and seeing if you can access the site http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ Firefox is a free, easy to use web browser that has been around for ages. If you can access the site with it then your issue is IE7 and I couldn't find a fix for it

Hi Mich..

Great suggestion!!!! guess what?! I tried Mozilla and it worked..so we know for sure that IE is the problem..however, they want us to use IE for some reason..so I wonder how I can go about fixing the problem?!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated..!

Sorry Maggie, I can't find a thing, especially with not knowing specifically what website it is that is giving you the problem.

I would suggest contacting them, explaining the situation (the error, that you have removed and updated java, and that it works fine in Firefox and not IE7) perhaps they can tell you what's going on.

Do me a favour though, if they do fix it, come back here and let us know? Just in case someone comes here with the same problem later on...

good luck!

Hi Mich..

Let me first say you have no idea how much I appreciate your help..BTW, that site doesn't offer tech support or feedback..it is my responsibility to resolve any tech issues on my own..

Ok..here is the situation which is a bit confusing:

-I tried IE6 and IE7 and got that error message unable to communicate with Applet

-I disabled the firewall and tried both IE versions and got the same error message

-Yesterday I tried Mozilla and it worked.. however, I realized later that the firewall was disabled..

-Today I enabled the firewall and tried to log on via Mozilla..guess what? I got the same exact error message : unable to communicate with Applet

-I disabled the firewall and it worked via Mozilla

With that said, IE didn't work even when the firewall was disabled??!!

Please let me know what you think...TIA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast