Default WindowsXP:System32 folder comes up on screen at start up

Hi

Would be very grateful for your help. Whenever I start up the PC the folder 'system32' comes up on the screen. The operating system is Windows XP. It doesn't seem to effect the functioning of the PC but is basically a nuisance. When I close the folder it doesn't come back up again until the PC is restarted. Would be very grateful for any advice, thanks.

Robert

RobDel...

just for giggles, click 'start' then 'all programs' and have a look for a folder named 'startup'

open this folder and see if 'system32' is listed there, if so, right click it and hit delete. if not, post back and we'll look elswhere...
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=170086

If you aren't comfortable editing the registry try the links below.

If you have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card, see
    www.kellys-korner.com/xp_tweaks.htm, Line 260, System32 Folder Opens Upon
    Boot

Otherwise, see:

Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Default Thanks to MrDarn and Bear for replies

Thanks very much; I have opened the Startup folder but it is completely empty; Will await any further instructions from MrDarn (thanks). Am just going to follow Bears instructions now.

I think I should have mentioned that I cannot get on the internet on the PC in question; I have another PC which I can. Also the PC with the problem only has a floppy disc and DVD drive not a CD drive. I'm letting you know about this because it limits the options I have, I think, in repairing it, thanks.

To Bear

I have tried editing the registry but could not manage it; I used the 'EXPORT' feature which then produced a notepad full of items that I didn't understand so I couldn't do it I'm afraid.

It is a DELL system with soundblaster which seems to be a common glitch. I downloaded the kellys-corner software from the link onto a floppy, but when I ran the program it said something like 'not found' and it has not fixed the problem. I then went to the Doug Knox site and tried Disable/Enable Registry Editing tools in Windows, hasn't worked and also ran a programme from there which is supposed to fix errors in the registry but this didn't work either (I think it was called Registry Mechanic or similar).

So now I'm stuck, please help!