Default Compressed file problem

Accidentally compressed a file and now computer won't work. Get message from Windows to this effect and cannot access anything on computer. What can I do? Thanks.

Try booting in safe mode and using system restore to restore to before you compressed the file.
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Member Help2Go Moderator

Which file did you compress? I'm guessing ntldr?

Partie

Default Compressed file

To PartieHonteuse: Yes the message I receive is on a black screen and states NTLDR is compressed. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. Did this but doesn't work. Keep getting same message. Tried System Recovery but when that completes, get same message NTLDR is compressed. Can you help? Thank you for replying. Mermaid

Member Help2Go Moderator

Read here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305595 step by step instructions on how to create a bootable floppy that will allow you to boot into your windows installation.

Once it actually boots copy and paste the ntldr file from the floppy directly to your C: drive. Take the floppy out and reboot without the floppy drive, that should fix it so you don't need the floppy to boot anymore.

Partie

Default Compressed file

To PartieHonteuse: Thanks for info. This may be beyond my ability but have floppies and will give it a try. Will let you know how this works out. Thanks again for your help. Mermaid