Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My HP Pavilion dv8000 laptop is starting up real slow.

Hello everyone. I hope your all having a fine day. and thank you all for your help in advance. now heres what I got and what I'm dealing with. My daughter has a HP pavilion dv8000 laptop with windows XP media center edition sp2 , with a 1.8 gig AMD turion 64 processor. now my problem is that when she brought it to me it was riddle with virues and spyware. namely zlob downloader.cvd. I ran the proper programs and got rid of all of them. by the way (thank you Help 2 go ) for that. but now when I bootup the lap top it takes a long time to boot up the windows splash screen stays up a long time and after that, I have to restart it a couple of times because the arrow sticks on the first time. and I notis that the wondows theam music sounds chopy and skips. I'm not sure what the problem is but I know theres something wrong. could it be the harddrive? and if so is there a way to fix it? once again thanks for your help in advance. yor friend graf.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi graf,

There could be a number of things that will slow down a PC. A good clean-up would be a good start. Download ccleaner ( www.ccleaner.com ), just use the default settings. Next, goto Start > Run > type in msconfig > Startup tab > how many processes have you got with boxes checked? If more than a couple, check out how important they are to be running in the background. If you wish, give us a list of the check marked programs and we'll advise on which ones should/could be stopped.

Keep us posted.

Default will do

I already ran the CCleaner. I have to go out for a min but I'll be back in a couple of hours and at that time I'll send you a lite of the thinks that are running in the back ground. thank you for your help.

Default I'm back!

I don't think the problem is whats running in the back ground I this it's with windows startup! because the Arrow keeps freezing

How much RAM do you have and how big is the hard drive and how much space is available on the HD?

Default Same Issue

I also have an HP Pavilion dv8000 and it is doing the same thing. It started doing this in January and I noticed when i was playing Itunes and the sounds started to skip like an old record player. I tried to reboot it thinking that would fix the issue, but then it took forever to reboot the computer.

I've been to the HP helpsite and ran a check. I've also used Ccleaner and Housecall to no avail. It did clean a couple things, but nothing that would cause my computer to run so terribly. We even moved all my stuff onto an external hard drive and reset the computer to factory presets. It seemed ok until I tried to run Itunes and the sounds skipped like crazy just like before. I have plenty of HD space, so no issue there. My machine came with 1G of RAM initially.

Someone has suggested that perhaps there is something wrong with my RAM, perhaps one of them went kapoot and the system is running on only one 512 instead of both or something isn't firing right there. I've gone ahead today and ordered two new 512 MB DDR 333mhz. I hope this will solve the problem :cry: because I can't afford a new computer. I've only owned this laptop for about a year and a half. I am sorry to hear about your problem, but also happy because that means it is not an isolated problem. Maybe HP used substandard RAM in these machines or we just both got a few bad ones? I will post here later this week when I get my RAM and let you know if that solves my issue.

Thanks Cidari, we would certainly be interested in what you find out.

Default thanks for the info

thanks for the info, cidair, I'n going to check out my ram to and see what I see. if I come up with anything I'll post it.

Default update

here is a list of whats running at startup. Zclient, superantispyware, ctfmon, could the problem be that I've uncheck something that should be check?

Default Update

I got my new RAM on Wednesday, switched out my old ram, rebooted...same problem. It's not a RAM problem. So I remembered that I had a friend that was super good at computers and gave him a call to pick his brain. He was pretty sure from what I described that it was definitely a hardware issue. So I took my machine to his house last night so he could look at it. The first thing he did was take some canned air to blow out all the dust from the fans since it looked like the laptop was having some overheating issues. Turns out one of my fans wasn't running at all, that didn't solve the main issue but it was necessary. We narrowed it down to either a problem with the hard drive or a problem with the motherboard itself. Since he didn't have a drive to swap out or cables that matched up with my drive, we couldn't test the hard drive theory.

We looked up how much parts would cost to replace either the hard drive or motherboard. Hard drive would have been pretty easy to replace, about $70 bucks or so. The motherboard....more costly, around $250 or more. Now, I only paid about $950 for this laptop when I bought it, so to me paying anymore then $200 to fix it served no purpose when I could buy a brand new one for only a few hundred more with better features, more RAM, etc. I was trying to save money and spend wisely being newly divorced and having to watch my cash flow.

Today, I took the hard drive out of the laptop and took it over to Best Buy and asked the Geek Squad to check to see if the hard drive was working ok. The guy took it out of the outer case and hooked it up, he accessed the data no problem, there was no slowness issues etc. They typically charge $29 per 1/2 hour for various requests, but thankfully the guy I asked was really nice and didn't charge me even though I was willing to pay. He stated that the drive was working fine but that it could also be in a "safe failure" meaning its warning you it might be dying soon. So basically it could still be both the hard drive and motherboard causing the issue. Consequently, Best Buy charges $59 flat rate to do a diagnostic on your computer if you bring it to them and say that you think it is hardware related. Don't let them try to sell you one of their higher costing packages where they try to run spy ware/virus scans/create boot discs, etc. I found out from another former Best Buy employee that they run the Housecall software online which you can also use for free online in your own home. So they are charging you a nice fee to run a free program that you could run yourself at home. Just a friendly warning.

I've made my decision, I'll limp around with this laptop (since once it actually boots and I can get Firefox open, I can surf the internet without much problems) until I can find a really good deal on a new laptop. My friend also recommended that I just try to sell my old laptop for parts after I get my new one eventually to recoup a little money.

In conclusion, you just have to decide what its worth to you to spend to fix the laptop. You very well might end up having the same issue as mine, both of ours might have come from the same batch as I stated in my earlier post. I'd recommend at least getting the hard drive checked like I did and make your choice on what to do after that.

Good luck to you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast