Default system error upon startup

Hi there. I have just joined help2go, and am hoping to gain some knowledge and assistance that will enable me to utilise my computer time in a more confident and efficient way!
    I have an error that comes up every time I start up my computer, that reads C:\WINDOWS\system32\sprt_ads.dll. I am not a real pc wiz, but am desperate to get this problem fixed. I have only had this problem since my virus protection (pcillian) erased damaged files from my computer. I would greatly appreciate any assistance that any one is able to give me. I have tried to find an answer through microsoft websites etc, but to no avail.
    Thanks to anyone who can help!

Pisces,

Still looks like a Malware problem maybe Trojan zlob (Smitfraud) Read & follow the directions below:

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Pro...Hijackers.html

I would be looking for something like this in your log the Malware guys will help you please follow through with the directions & post a hijackthis log. Do not make any fixes your self using hijackthis program..

O2 - BHO: superiorads - {4AD44D3E-7316-4251-B754-9B10EC96AF92} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\sprt_ads.dll

zep516

Quote Originally Posted by zep516
    Pisces,

Still looks like a Malware problem maybe Trojan zlob (Smitfraud) Read & follow the directions below:

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Pro...Hijackers.html

I would be looking for something like this in your log the Malware guys will help you please follow through with the directions & post a hijackthis log. Do not make any fixes your self using hijackthis program..

O2 - BHO: superiorads - {4AD44D3E-7316-4251-B754-9B10EC96AF92} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\sprt_ads.dll

zep516
    thankyou,am trying it now, will get back to you when i have some sort of result.
    I really do appreciate your help

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

pcillian has probably deleted the malware already, but has left a bit of the program in your startup configuration. You can go to Start > Run > type in msconfig > OK > startup tab > locate sprt_ads and uncheck the box next to it >OK .. reboot your PC and check the box in the configuration notification window "to not show message again > OK. I would still follow zep516's advice and post your Highjackthis log to this thread and let one of the expert Spyware fighters take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck
    pcillian has probably deleted the malware already, but has left a bit of the program in your startup configuration. You can go to Start > Run > type in msconfig > OK > startup tab > locate sprt_ads and uncheck the box next to it >OK .. reboot your PC and check the box in the configuration notification window "to not show message again > OK. I would still follow zep516's advice and post your Highjackthis log to this thread and let one of the expert Spyware fighters take a look.
    Thankyou both! Must say Canuck's idea was a whole lot simpler! But followed zep516's advice and will post results shortly. At the risk of sounding well. stupid, what does C:\WINDOWS\system32\sprt_ads.dll actually mean in plain english?!!!! It actually came up as a RUNDLL, and said components couldnt be found or were missing, could pcillian have deleted parts relevant to this when cleaning out viruses or what ever else it may have found? Yep, I am not exactly sure of the goings on behind a pc's actual running requirements, although can manage to run buisnesses from them, and use just about any program I might need. I just find it frustrating when things aren't running right and I don't know what to do to fix 'em!! Cheers peoples, for your help and patience!!!! :wink:

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

could pcillian have deleted parts relevant to this when cleaning out viruses or what ever else it may have found?
    Yes, for sure, as I stated
    pcillian has probably deleted the malware already, but has left a bit of the program in your startup configuration
    . This is not unusual, even when deleting (uninstalling) a regular program, some keys are left behind. Ever notice when uninstalling a program, a message saying ' not all components were removed' or words to that effect. The same can happen with malware.

Here's an excerpt from an anti spyware site
    What we know about SPRT_ADS.DLL:
    The filename SPRT_ADS.DLL was first seen on Dec 18 2007 in NETHERLANDS. It has also been seen in the following geographical regions of the Prevx community:
    SPAIN on Mar 12 2008 The EUROPEAN UNION on Dec 19 2007 The filename SPRT_ADS.DLL refers to many versions of a dynamic link library.
    The most common file size is 60,416 bytes. But the following file size has also been seen:
    64,000 bytes These files may have the following Vendor, Product, Version Information in the file header ; ; 1, 0, 7, 6
    The following Vendor, Product, Version Information has also been reported: ; ; 1, 0, 8, 3 ; ; 1, 0, 8, 1
    SPRT_ADS.DLL has been seen to perform the following behavior(s):
    The Process is packed and/or encrypted using a software packing process Registers a Dynamic Link Libray (DLL) File SPRT_ADS.DLL has been the subject of the following behavior(s):
    Enabled as an In Process Object/Server - Common with DLL Injections Creation and Registered as a Browser Helper Object in Internet Explorer Registered as a Dynamic Link Library File Created as a process on disk Added as a Registry auto start to load Program on Boot up Registered as a Dynamic Link Libray (DLL) File Executed as a Process Deleted as a process from disk
    The red wording is what happened to you.

Thanks Canuck! I get it now! Your patience is commendable!

Pisces,

I would think there could be other files that were not detected by your anti virus that could be lurking around and it is in your best interest to post a log so Malware people can see it & give you the all clear..

zep516