Default Hard Drive ~ Used Space

I have a Dell Insprion 530 running Windows Vista with 288GB of space on my hard (C) drive.

I am not a heavy user of my PC, yet every time I go to check how much used space there is in "properties" it is steadily creeping up. I regularly carry out a Disk Clean Up as well as deleting browsing history (as I gather this has an impact on free space as well).

Is there an easy way of identifying what it is that seems to be using up the free space? I currently have "235 GB free of 288 GB", however, this was 245 GB only last week and I haven't downloaded anything significant.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Try the program at the link below, It will tell you what is using up the most space on your hard drive.

http://windirstat.info/
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

One of the things that happens that most don't take into consideration is that System Restore Points are created, and these ultimately take up a fair amount of space. If everything is running well, right click My Computer > Properties > System Restore tab > you will note that the slide bar is set a maximum (12%) by default. That is to say, in your case about 30 gigs is set aside for restore points. This is totally unnecessary. This operation will remove all your restore points, that is why I ask if all is running well. You could if you wish, go into your Registry and save a copy to be on the safe side. If you need instructions to do that, ask for them.

Now check the box 'Turn off System Restore' > OK > shut window and then reopen it. Uncheck the same box and then move the slide bar to about 3% >OK. A new Restore Point should automatically be created. Reboot your PC.

Now, do a cleanup of your PC. A small effective utility we recommend is ccleaner ( www.ccleaner.com ) .. download and run with the default settings. Now do a defragmentation of you PC. The defragmentor that comes with Windows will do the job, but again there is a better one (and free) available at http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/ . Suggest you might want to defrag last thing at night or when you know you won't be using your PC for a couple of hours (any defrags after this should be shorter duration as long as you defrag once every couple of months). After this, reboot your PC and you should notice more HD space and perhaps running a little faster.

Keep us posted.