Default AVG Requires restart after each update

Hi,

I'm running the latest version of AVG 7.5.519 on a dell inspiron 6000 running XP home. Starting in early February, AVG started prompting me for a restart after update each day. I tried uninstalling, clearing all AVG files with a registry cleaner and reinstalling. I've tried running a scan from housecall.trendmicro.com. Others have tried closing all programs while the update runs and nothing seems to work. If I uninstall and reinstall it lasts a couple days before prompting me to reinstall. I can also clear the temp update file which works for a week before the internal virus data base becomes outdated. Many people seem to experience this problem and no one on the AVG forums can seem to fix it and are blaming it on individual computers, but it seems too widespread. I've have two additional computers in the house, one a second inspiron 6000 laptop which are not having AVG issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Are we talking the AVG Pro or the free version?

I used AVG for years but now I use Avast Home Edition. You can find it at the link below.

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Sorry for my delayed response, it is the AVG Free version. I had used Avast a few years back and prefer AVG. If necessary I will switch, but would prefer to get to the bottom of this. Thanks for any help.

I think it does boil down to the individual PC, even if there are 1000's out there that are having this problem .. it was/is the same with IE7 and WMP11 .. work well on some PCs not others. Double check your update schedule http://www.help2go.com/component/opt...highlight,avg/ just change the time and save and see if that does anything. Keep us posted.

PS. I don't run the complete scan every day either, so I stooped that function and run it manually every week or two. It's actively scanning everything anyway real time, and as long as you have a good firewall and cleanup with a program like ccleaner you should be fine.

Thanks for looking for a solution. I'll probably just switch to Avast! for now and maybe switch back in a few months to see if it solves the problem. I don't know if I should post a new thread for this or not, but part of my problem with Avast is the lack of a daily scan. Is that not necessary b/c of the resident protection that always runs? I have more difficulty with the interface and am basically used to AVG and all the settings on it which is the reason for the reluctance.

As mentioned above, if it's real time scanning I don't see the need for daily full scans.

Ok, thanks for your help!