Default Loading backup disk to a new computer

Hi, my husband dropped his laptop and it now looks like space junk. I have a backup disk of all the files etc and was wondering how I would go about loading all of it onto a new computer??

Also, the laptop was windows vista, does that mean the new computer has to have vista for the files to be accessed?

any help would be great.

thanks

Kristy
    Kristy
    "I'm ok with computers until something goes wrong!"

Member Help2Go Moderator

Depends on how you backed up. If you used special software that was either included with Vista (NTBackup) or used a purchased program then you would have to install that program on your new computer.

If you just copied the files you needed to CD using some burning software then all you need to do is copy from cd and paste to wherever you want on the new drive. Mind you, that you'll have to make sure that whatever created those files (be it Word, Powerpoint, Adobe, etc.etc.) that you will have to have that same program (or other program that's able to view/edit that specific file type) installed on the new laptop.

I wouldn't worry about Vista not being installed on your new laptop. More than likely whatever you pick will have Vista pre-installed.

Partie