Default What is a firewall?

What is a firewall?

Member Help2Go Moderator

Default great, but what have I got?

Thank you, Partie once again. But what I'd like to know is do I have a firewall? I have AVG Free, as well as some MSN stuff(the little yellow shield in the bottom tray). Will these do or do I need to shop around for something more substantial?
    In the past, when I've scanned using Norton anti-virus, the results came up with quite a few problems to have fixed. I never got around to purchasing the recommended software(no money)to "fix" the problems. I have not scanned using Norton for some time and the AVG scan comes up with no errors. Is it possible for some problems to fix themselves? or do I need to look again?

The windows firewall blocks access *to* your computer but will not block bad programs accessing the internet etc. *from* your computer. Only actual firewall programs will do this.

Zone Alarm is a free easy to use firewall program for home users. You can read about it and download it here

You should also only ever have 1 antivirus program running at a time.

Problems never fix themselves. If you have the right software though they can fix problems for you as they occur.
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Default ...how do I know?

I checked AVG Free control center and it doesn't say anything about a firewall. I also have Norton scan as one of my programs. I guess I'll have to download the freebie you mentioned above. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.