Default Word or Acrobat?

When requesting some information from a certain website, I am given the option of either "Word" or "Acrobat" format. I'm sort of at a loss as to which to choose. When I look at programs on the Start menu, I see I've got something called WordPad.(I've got Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2 I believe). "Acrobat" rings a bell although I didn't see it in my programs.
    Is one better than the other?

Word is a word processor program. If you have Microsoft Word installed then you can download the word document (.doc file) to read it.

PDF is another type of file. You can use the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to open it.
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

It boils down to which program you prefer. You can download free Adobe Acrobat Reader ( http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html ) (but this takes up a lot of space) or the free Foxit which uses much less resources and many of us use it ( http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php ) . The format here is .pdf, but there are a limited number of things you can do with this format without getting into other 3rd party applications.

With Word (Microsoft Word is the one that most people mean when referring to 'Word") you are able to do more editing type things. If you don't have a word processor and $ are in short supply, as with most of us, a great free alternative is OpenOffice ( http://www.openoffice.org/ ).

Most of us have both types of programs, leaving the .pdf programs as the default to open projects such as you describe. You can't go wrong with Foxit and OpenOffice. Are you sure you don't have either Microsoft Office (or Microsoft Suite) or Wordperfect .. most computers come with trial or abbreviated versions of these when you get a PC?

Keep us posted.

Default HOw do I get Word?

Yes, I seem to remember now that some employers will only accept resumes in Word format. How do I go about loading it? Do I need to buy some software? And tell me about the free substitute you mentioned. Will it pass for Word? And I can have Acrobat as well as Word? I also already have a resume on file, in PDF format I believe. Does that mean I have Acrobat?

Default ...got adbe rdr 8

I just looked and I have Adobe REader 8. Is that as good or better than Acrobat?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I just looked and I have Adobe REader 8. Is that as good or better than Acrobat?
    They are one and the same, so you don't need a .pdf reader, you have one.

OpenOffice is compatable with MS Office. Just go to their site as I mentioned above and download and install it.

Default microsoft word

Thanks for the assist y'all. I'll just save a little money and get that MS Word sometime. Problem solved.