Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How big is my hard drive?

How do I find out how big my hard drive and floppy disk drive are? Got my screwdriver handy in case...

Member Help2Go Moderator

99.9% sure that your floppy drive is 1.44mb in size since that's is what comes on standard machines today (if you even get a floppy drive).

You can check your hard drive size by going to "start" menu> click "run" > type "msinfo32" (no quotes) > press "ok".

Once in the "system information" window, click the + sign next to "components" then the + next to "storage" and then select "disks". On the right hand side, the window will populate with information about all the hard drives you have installed, namely the "Size" label.

Partie

Default went there

Partie, I went there and came up with 6.01 Giga bytes! Not that there's anything wrong with that. But alas, I don't know what that means precisely. I realize more memory leads to faster and better downloading and playback. But does size really matter when it comes to hard drive? What does it mean?

Member Help2Go Moderator

Partie, I went there and came up with 6.01 Giga bytes! Not that there's anything wrong with that. But alas, I don't know what that means precisely. I realize more memory leads to faster and better downloading and playback. But does size really matter when it comes to hard drive? What does it mean?
    That seems like a very small amount of hard drive space, let's try a different route and see if that shows us a different number. Open "My Computer" and RIGHT click on the "C:\" drive then select properties from the drop down list. There you should get "free space" vs "used space".

Also, I think you're getting hard drive space confused with RAM.

Default ...check up

Partie, went there. came up w/5.99GB total/2.15GB free. by the way< aren"t gigas bIGGER than megas?

sailor86,

If you were in school this is what you would learn to get an understanding of bytes see the link, A gigabyte is about the same as a pick-up truck filled with books...

http://kb.iu.edu/data/ackw.html <--------- See the link please...

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/...944596,00.html

zep516

Default Thanks dude!

Zep, that was a killer link! Got my questions answered and then some. So now I know how pitiful my configuration is the next question is: do I do the deed myself or shell out the bucks to have a pro do it? Where's the best place to shop for RAM and hard drive?

Member Help2Go Moderator

You seem like the curios type so why not do it yourself and learn something in the process. We're here to help so if you have any questions on how to install something then feel free to ask.

The one thing I'm concerned about is what operating system you're running and a few other system specs that may cause me to believe your current system is not worth the $ in updating.

A 6GB hard drive was something that was used in the days of Windows 98. If your system is that old, I'd be extra careful as to what size hard drive you get since older computers like that have a hard time recognizing anything over 80GB. The RAM shouldn't be too expensive.

Maybe you should think about building yourself a new machine?

Default save or scrap?

Partie,
    My computer is probably about 10 years old. It is a hybrid of various component manufacturers. It is a hand-me-down from my dear old dad. Bless his soul, all he ever maintained on it was dial-up. He was in no hurry. Regardless, it was enough machine for him. There is a name and number on the back of the tower so I might give them a call and possibly they could date this PC.
    AS far as building a new one, do you mean gut this one out and start entirely from scratch? I'm not beyond that. Well, once I get a little surplus I can work with.

Member Help2Go Moderator

AS far as building a new one, do you mean gut this one out and start entirely from scratch? I'm not beyond that. Well, once I get a little surplus I can work with.
    I'm talking about purchasing new guts and outsides (tower) too. I'm kind of afraid on what kind of case you have and if the newer components will fit in it.

Partie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast