Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Blog Entries

Default AIDA32 - Personal System Information 3.93

AIDA32 is a system information and benchmarking tool with full hardware & software information on 80 pages. It comes with a built-in hardware databas ...
    Aida32 - Personal System Information 3.93

Freeware 98/ME/2000/XP

This tool is no longer being updated but still works well
    If you open it with Internet access it will link you directly to driver update links and info

You simple move the cursor to the right and click the hyperlinks

* AIDA32.HU, THE WEB SITE OF AIDA32 IS CLOSED *
    * You will be automatically redirected to Lavalys web site in 60 seconds...
    They have an updated version called EVEREST
    Personally, I prefer the older aida32 version from Tamás Miklós to the EVEREST version
    Lavalys hired the aida32 developer Lavalys Appoints Tamás Miklós as CTO and Executive Vice President of Software Engineering Research & Development of MONTRÉAL, CANADA

Tamás has spent over nine years developing revolutionary network auditing and administration products.
    Tamás has a huge recognized software development and engineering background in the fields of network audit, system diagnostics, change management, asset and desktop management, system benchmarking and software licensing.
    ==================================================
    Note: it is a classic you will find more stuff each time you use it...it allows you to save system info and has CPU temps & fan speeds and much more
    The first time you open it I would start with the summary found in the search tree...(more info by far than Belkin)

Added
    Last edited by Canuck; 05-16-2009 at 11:43 AM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Blog Entries

Default PageDefrag v2.32

PageDefrag v2.32

This tool is for Windows XP...read down to see info on Vista

Purpose is to speed up your Win XP computer

PageDefrag uses advanced techniques to provide you what commercial defragmenters cannot: the ability for you to see how fragmented your paging files and Registry hives are, and to defragment them. In addition, it defragments event log files and Windows 2000/XP hibernation files (where system memory is saved when you hibernate a laptop).
    More page file info Win XP
    ========================
    Understanding Windows Vista Paging File Size
    Windows Vista does away with this by automatically setting the optimal size for the paging file, even after you add more memory to your computer.

For instance, if you had a computer with 1GB of memory, your paging file would be roughly 1300mb, but if you add another 1GB of memory to your computer to make a total of 2GB, now when you look at the paging file, it will have automatically increased:
    How to move the paging file in Windows XP from Microsoft
    ==========================
    SPEED UP VISTA INFO HERE
    Get maximum performance from Windows Vista from Microsoft

Things to Know

Before you start messing with your computer’s paging file there are things you need to understand so you don’t break your computer.

* Your computer must have a paging file. Windows Vista and most software rely on the paging file even though your computer has plenty or memory.
    * The recommended size of the paging file is 1.5 to 3 times the amount of RAM you have.
    * If you move the paging file, it should always be moved to a different physical hard drive. Never use a separate partition on the same hard drive as the C: drive. This will slow your computer down.
    * You can have 2 paging files. Each paging file must be on different physical hard drives though. An example would be a paging file on your C: and E: drives.
    BTW: Some argue the minimum and max page file should be the same size to avoid fragmentation issues...that is for another thread
    Personally, I follow MS recommendations

Credits: Microsoft and Mark Russinovich, Microsoft TechNet and abs
    Last edited by abseh1; 05-17-2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: added text
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Every hard disk is too small if you just wait long enough. TreeSize Free tells you where precious space has gone to. TreeSize Free can be started from the context menu of a folder or drive and shows you the size of this folder, including its subfolders. You can expand this folder in Explorer-like style and you will see the size of every subfolder.

JAM Software - Windows Freeware

Added
    Last edited by Canuck; 06-23-2009 at 07:21 PM.

Process Hacker is a free and open source process viewer and memory editor with unique features such as powerful process termination and a Regex memory searcher. It can show services, processes and their threads, modules, handles and memory regions.

ADDED
    Last edited by Canuck; 06-23-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Due to this link recently posted on Help2Go, I feel we need

Ghost 14 (not free)

Acronis 12 (not free) added to the software Pics
    Both my systems are fine now, but for Ghost 12 (PC) and Acronis 10 (Laptop) I would have lost everything in my case due to Threatfire.....sigh.
    A good investment as I recently found out.

Added
    Last edited by Canuck; 06-23-2009 at 07:26 PM.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Tallin,

I notice your original post recommending Threatfire is still in place here. In view of your recent experience, you may want to edit it.

@Arraknid,

I deleted the entire post as I don't recommend Spywareguard or Threatfire at all since adding that thread so long ago.

@Canuck, here is another highly recommended Cleanup program TFC

I post it with full permission of OldTimer

Download TFC to your desktop

* Close any open windows.
    * Double click the TFC icon to run the program
    * TFC will close all open programs itself in order to run,
    * Click the Start button to begin the process.
    * Allow TFC to run uninterrupted.
    * The program should not take long to finish it's job
    * Once its finished it should automatically reboot your machine,
    * if it doesn't, manually reboot to ensure a complete clean

kind regards,

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567