Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AVG Review

Default Thanks

Thanks<Canuck ... Already have '9', just after evilfantasy's post I installed it from CNET. I'm glad to see that we are all on the same page!!!! (except me, I keep reading from the back of the book!!!)

Too many issues with AVG lately (mainly update problems) so I finally dumped it last week in favour of Avast, after recommendation from H2G members. Good choice, wish I'd done it sooner.

Steph
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

Angry AVG Review...

Never had any real cause for concern with AVG Free 7.5 but when they introduced V8 last year it slowed down my wifes computer dramatically. Despite AVG's messages last year saying that after such and such a date V7.5 would no longer be supported I held out and didnt install V8.
    I believe a lot of the problems with V8 stemmed from the email scanner which scanned every incoming email for virus's and spyware. Certainly when we inhibited this function on her computer things speeded up a little but it also scanned every page of every selected url before deciding whether or not it was safe. it just became incredibly slow; a daily scan that originally took about 30 minutes now takes up to four or five hours on her machine.

Having said that however, about four months ago one of the daily updates to 7.5 brought about a big change in the scan time on my computer; what used to take just a few minutes now takes four hours...

Now I see that AVG are pushing V8.5 and saying support for V7.5 will end on 12 April.
    Clearly AVG had problems with V8 if it has gone from V8 to V8.5 in the space of six months. I am not truly convinced that V8.5 is the final answer or that support for 7.5 will end on April 12. They are simply trying too hard to push what has become on the face of it what we Brits would call a 'dodgy piece of kit...'

I too have suffered form failure to connect problems and false positives with V7.5; and am seriously considering abandoning AVG completely in favour of Avast...

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I'm in no way defending AVG here, but I have to say that I've not experienced the same as you. I also have turned off the daily full scan, I figure that AVG does real time scanning, so maybe once a week I'll run the full system scan. This has worked for me for years and haven't been infected.

The problem I see now, and this is with most of the anti virus programs out there, is that to stay in competition, they're trying to be all things for all situations. Adding firewalls, anti adware etc etc utilities. Just as Norton and McAfee have done, they become resource hogs and the bigger they get the more can and does go wrong. When one of these companies has to put out a separate uninstaller, you know that there are problems (AVG has just done so as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    When one of these companies has to put out a separate uninstaller, you know that there are problems (AVG has just done so as well).
    Hi Canuck, I've just uninstalled AVG through Add/Remove - is it best to use the uninstaller you referred to?

Thank you.

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Hi Steph, there's no harm in using it. What's happening is that Add/Remove gets rid of the majority of entries, but there are always bits and pieces left behind. For the most part, these 'leftovers' aren't harmful, they just add to the junk files in the registry. Having said that, some of the leftovers may effect other programs, so, in addition to the regular add/remove function they've created these additional removal utilities to get rid of any extra 'leftovers'.

One of the 'leftovers' i suffered from norton was my MSN messenger used it as a file virus checker when you use it to transfer files. once i uninstalled norton, MSN still thought it was there, and refused to let me download stuff because it couldnt find the correct file to check it. The norton uninstall tool solved that one.

Hi Canuck, I've looked on the AVG site for the uninstaller but can't find it anywhere - do you have a link for it please?

Thank you.

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Proud Member of ASAP
    Proud Member of UNITE

Do not ask for my help via pm. Keep it in the forums so all may learn from it.

My help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

Thanks Clark76. We also have a fairly good software reference page at Help2Go Recommended Software List should you ever need to check out software sites. Just added the AVG one a few weeks ago. We've had some excellent referrals from our members. I think most of the programs that we recommend are there, if any are missing, please let me know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast