Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AVG Review

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Default AVG Review

This is a test posting for member's comments/reviews only on AVG. Please feel free to create a post with your thoughts on this program.

I am no expert on anti virus software...but everything I have read lately, is that it is not that good...Their are others much better, but not free, of course....I think it misses many things...and you can still get viruses with AVG.....I don't feel protected with it at all...just my opinion....

its like anything else, if a virus is written to beat a program, and you have it installed, it'll beat it until its updated.

the trick is to keep one step ahead, and keep it updated.

Avg has had many issues lately update manager not connecting, false positives etc., I have removed it from one machine and installed another free Anti Virus. If the update continues to have issues I will uninstall it from the other machine as well.

zep
    Last edited by zep516; 11-18-2008 at 10:18 PM. Reason: sp

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

I've also had quite a few instances recently of the update manager unable to connect, false positives, etc., and so have wondered about replacing AVG. I'm not qualified to comment on how it compares with other a-v programs, although if the consensus of other more experienced members proves to be that AVG is not as reliable as it used to be, could we have some advice on what (preferably free) programs could replace it?

Thanks

Steph
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

I have used AVG on a machine for about two years, and it has ALWAYS ran slow. I thought that it was because of my file size, but after trying other programs, I have decided otherwise. Plus, GOOD LUCK trying to run any programs while the scanner is scanning!!! If your gonna scan with AVG, and your machine is medium to low-end, plan for a two to three hour inability to use that machine!!!

AVG's footprint is one of the smallest of the better anti virus programs. I would look at what other programs are running in the background ( Start > Run > type in msconfig > OK > Startup tab) .... how many processes are checked off? The most you need is around 3 to 5. How much free space is there on your hard drive? Have you tried running an AVG scan in Safe Mode?

No, I never tried to run in 'safe mode' ... I have started using Avira in place of AVG. I am much more pleased with that program, anyhow. By what your saying<canuck. the problems incurred WEREN'T AVG, but USER ERROR. I will agree with that!!!

Moderator Forum Moderator evilfantasy's Avatar

Be sure to get the new version. Avira has launched its new Version 9!. The free version has ad/spyware protection!

You have to do a fresh install. It won't update to v9 with the internal updater.

Our help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

Default Update to 8.5

Here's the latest update through CNet Download as it's a little faster than AVG site at the moment. AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition - Reviews and free AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition downloads at Download.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast